Network adapter - automatic VPN on host, but just for one guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Dk4d

Network adapter - automatic VPN on host, but just for one guest

Post by Dk4d »

Hi all,

I am running VitualBox 5.1.2r108956 on Centos 6.6 (2.6.32-642.13.1.el6.x86_64) as host and Windows 7 as guest.
The guest system has to connect to an active directory, that requires an active network connection already at startup.
Everything is running on a business notebook and works nicely as long as I am in the office.
Anyhow, it becomes more complicated as soon as I want to use the guest system in a different network.
If I connect my host via VPN, the guest system can login to the active directory and everything works nicely, but the VPN gateway is limited to 200 Mbit/s, which limits the bandwidth of the guest and host . Moreover, I isolate my host OS from other networks.

Is it possible to define a network adapter for the guest OS that is isolated from the host and is exclusively used by the guest OS and connects to our business network via VPN as soon as the virtual machine powers up? (I am using vpnc and OpenVPN on the host)
Please note that the network connection has to be established before the guest OS is powered up, therefore it is no option to establish a VPN connection within the guest OS, because the connection has to be established before I log in.

Thank you!

PS: I think there must be an option to do that. I couldn't find anything searching this board, but it might be that I was looking for the wrong keywords ... If that is the case, my apologies.