linux = server + vm. a netwoking question

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
amz_study

linux = server + vm. a netwoking question

Post by amz_study »

this is mostly a networking question.

1. I have and old server. it uses oracle linux.
2. on it I have Virtual Box with 4 vm. Inside these vm are oracle linux.
3. when the network are set to automatic dhcp, if the server is connected to certain network via LAN, it will generate its own IP, and so it all four VM.
4. other people who connected to the LAN can ssh to the linux on the vm, if you get their IP via ifconfig -a

however, when connected to certain other network, these IP are not configured. So I know I need to set it up manually.

what do i need to do at the main linux server to make these possible? what question should I ask the network person? (I guess I need to do some changes at the network setting)

and what do i need to do to the network setting on the linux on the vm itself?

Thanks.

i'm mostly a dba and not a network person (system engineer), so I need some guidance here. thanks.
amz_study

Re: linux = server + vm. a netwoking question

Post by amz_study »

i knew their network is quite different because when usually you connect a laptop, instead of automatically connected like some other places, you need to click at the network connection and set the IP value manually before you can access the network.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

It sounds like network B does not have a DHCP server (the one that's responsible for giving out IP addresses). It's weird that in this day and age there's no DHCP server in a network, but, hey, c'est la vie.

The addresses on a computer are not "generated" they are given out by the DHCP server, if not you've got to assign them manually. It also sounds that you've configured your VMs to use "Bridged" mode networking, which makes the VM appear as another computer (as far as the network is concerned). Please verify that this is the case.
amz_study wrote:what do i need to do at the main linux server to make these possible?
By the "main Linux server" I assume you mean the host. You do nothing. Except maybe assign it a static IP address if you want the host to be on the network as well.
amz_study wrote:what do i need to do to the network setting on the linux on the vm itself?
The same thing that you mentioned you're doing in your laptop; set the IP address manually. You've got to be careful when assigning static IP addresses, that another computer doesn't already have that address, otherwise it's not going to be fun. At all...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
amz_study

Post by amz_study »

Yes. There is two network adapter.

1 - NAT
2 - Bridged Adapter