Error message on try to update to Virtualbox-5.0

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
jivabill
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Error message on try to update to Virtualbox-5.0

Post by jivabill »

I am running my Linux Host, Mint 13, using version 4.3.18. My Guest is Windows XP PRO. When I start the Vbox I get a message that says a newer version is available. 5.0_5.0.32-112932-Ubuntu-Precise-i386.deb. I download the new version and try to install it. Then I get an error message in red letters:
Error: Breaks existing package 'virtualbox-4.3' But the '/home/jivabill/Desktop/virtualbox-5.0_5.0.32-112930~Ubuntu~precise_i386.deb'
provides it via: 'virtualbox'

I do not understand what this message is saying. Does that mean that I can not install the update without destroying all my settings in the existing 4.3.18 ?

Can someone translate for me please
Thanks
Beam me up Scotty, this planet sucks!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Error message on try to update to Virtualbox-5.0

Post by Perryg »

It means that you have the ubuntu fork installed and are trying to install the official version and they are not compatible, or it means that they do not want you to install their newer version over the old one. Either way you must remove the first one before you can install the new one.
jivabill
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Post by jivabill »

Thank you for enlightening me. That is what I was thinking, that in order to update I have to just start over, remove my earlier version and build a new instance of Vbox using the newest release. I think I will put that off as long as possible.
Thanks again for your reply
Regards
bill
Beam me up Scotty, this planet sucks!
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

You just have to remove the old 4.3 application. Your settings and guest installation will stay and can be used again after installing 5.0 or 5.1.