vboxdrv.sh: failed: running virtualbox in xen environment is not supported

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
AKAL Singh

Post by AKAL Singh »

Hi,

We have a server in which we installed Oracle VM Server 3.4 and created a linux 6.3 VM machine, In this linux VM we are trying to install Virtualbox 5.1 and configure but we are facing this error message :

#/etc/init.d/vboxdrv.sh setup

The linux VM machine details:
--------------------------------------------------------
[root@linux63 log]# uname -r
2.6.39-200.24.1.el6uek.x86_64

[root@linux63 log]# uname -a
Linux linux63.aks.com 2.6.39-200.24.1.el6uek.x86_64 #1 SMP Sat Jun 23 02:39:07 EDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Where is the problem?? and how to install VirtualBox in this Linux VM?

Please help!!!!!

-A Singh.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: vboxdrv.sh: failed: running virtualbox in xen environment is not supported

Post by socratis »

I believe the error was crystal clear:
AKAL Singh wrote:running virtualbox in xen environment is not supported
As you were told before, nested virtualization is not supported.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
AKAL Singh

Post by AKAL Singh »

Thanks for your immediate reply.

but that linux VM created with just basic installation, XEN is not installed in it.

So, cant we have virtualbox within a normal linux VM, which created in Oracle VM Server?? why any idea, or any workarounds?

as per: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80943
I got that by adding 2 parameters in vm.cfg file and able to see 64bit options in virtual box inside linux VM :)
hap = 1
nestedhvm = 1

What the options I have here now for my requirement??
In my Physical machine we installed Oracle VM Server and want to create a VM in which I want to have multiple VMs? ( so we are using virtualbox here)

Please Guide.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

AKAL Singh wrote:Please Guide.
For that guidance you'll have to find another user that has Oracle VM Server and VirtualBox inside a VM. I don't, so I wouldn't know where to start. If the developers have determined that they don't want to run inside a XEN environment, you could try and persuade them.
AKAL Singh wrote:as per: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80943
I got that by adding 2 parameters in vm.cfg file and able to see 64bit options in virtual box inside linux VM :)
hap = 1
nestedhvm = 1
Where is this file "vm.cfg" that you're referring to? I'm not familiar with it, neither are the parameters ringing a bell. Actually we should be continuing this discussion in the other thread, so if you don't mind posting the details there?
AKAL Singh wrote:In my Physical machine we installed Oracle VM Server and want to create a VM in which I want to have multiple VMs?
Why don't you install VirtualBox directly on your physical machine and you want it installed in a VM?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.