Paravirtualization Interface.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
hack3rcon

Paravirtualization Interface.

Post by hack3rcon »

Hello.
Why in Paravirtualization Interface we have not any option about "Xen"?

Thank you.
Attachments
Windows 7 - Settings.png
Windows 7 - Settings.png (38.87 KiB) Viewed 9205 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Paravirtualization Interface.

Post by mpack »

Because VirtualBox doesn't emulate Xen?

And what possible use would a Windows 7 VM have for a Xen compatible API anyway?
hack3rcon

Post by hack3rcon »

Why not Xen? I know Oracle love Xen.
If the VM is Linux then is it possible?
Last edited by socratis on 1. Feb 2017, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

No, there is no Xen. Pretty much end of story. And us users wouldn't have a clue why or why not.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
hack3rcon

Post by hack3rcon »

socratis wrote:No, there is no Xen. Pretty much end of story. And us users wouldn't have a clue why or why not.
What is you mean? The users are not important for Oracle?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Ho ho. I should maybe try that argument in other ways: Oracle should buy me a $1000000 house. Why not? Don't they care about their users?

Oracle. Get me a girlfriend, I want one! Pretty and redhead please. Well endowed if possible. Not much to ask if Oracle cares about users like me!

I think it works for anything!

Seriously, Oracle is a business, and unless I'm mistaken you are not a customer. By all means present the business case for any feature request, but otherwise basically no: nobody cares what you want, unless they had reason to believe it is also what the paying customers want.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

hack3rcon wrote:users are not important for Oracle?
@hack3rcon, I think you misunderstood Mpack, here. He was pointing out that this is a volunteer-user-supported forum, not a paid-developer-supported forum. The Dev-Mind-Read API has not been completed yet (it's still in alpha) so we cannot tell why the developers have chosen or not chosen to implement a certain feature we think would be cool/important/critical to have. You can suggest an enhancement on the Bugtracker.

Oracle's development on free Virtualbox comes from developments on Oracle's pay-for virtualization system which is derived from Virtualbox. The license to begin getting developer support on Virtualbox starts at $6100 (that's $61 per license, 100 license minimum). The developers have said they have their hands over-full handling Oracle's customers' development needs, so we should not expect enhancements suggested by free users to be high on the list unless the enhancements coincide with rich paying customers' needs. That said, users can contribute code, and free Virtualbox is open-source, so someone could figure out how to implement what they'd like Virtualbox to have and submit a code suggestion.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@hack3rcon
Can you please give me a "solid" reason why you want Xen? And please do not include reasons like "it's the new thing", "it's got love", and "it sounds sexy". Solid, good reason.

You seem to have an obsession with Xen, without actually never have explained one big factor; why?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
hack3rcon

Post by hack3rcon »

I thought Oracle VM is free!!!!!
hack3rcon

Post by hack3rcon »

socratis wrote:@hack3rcon
Can you please give me a "solid" reason why you want Xen? And please do not include reasons like "it's the new thing", "it's got love", and "it sounds sexy". Solid, good reason.

You seem to have an obsession with Xen, without actually never have explained one big factor; why?
Because I like to work with Xen too. Why "KVM" exist but not "Xen". You tell "why", not me.
I know Oracle VM and many hypervisors use Xen.
hack3rcon

Post by hack3rcon »

In viewtopic.php?f=9&t=81668&p=384464#p384464 a user said "Because VirtualBox isn't Xen. If you want to use Xen, use Xen." and I like to ask, Is VirtualBox "KVM" or "Hyper-V" ?
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

That setting is just to configure a very small virtual timer access interface which can be used by a guest kernel.
It doesn't really have anything to do with the diffeent full virtualizers.
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

"Hyper-V" is a Microsoft Product! And for Windows only so NO, VirtualBox is not Hyper-V!

Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) is a virtualization infrastructure for the Linux kernel that turns it into a hypervisor. So NO VirtualBox is NOT KVM.

VirtualBox is VirtualBox and is well documented - Try the User Guide for starters!

XEN is XEN and is also well documented on relevant internet sites, which does not include VirtualBox Forums.

All of theses facts can easily be found with a little self effort, so it isn't really necessary to waste the valuable time of VirtualBox Users who primarily try to offer positive assistance to other users through these forums.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

erdeslawe wrote:it isn't really necessary to waste the valuable time of VirtualBox Users
Couldn't agree more. This thread is at the limit of being closed as "Irrelevant/Ignorant" and pointing the users to Wikipedia articles to educate themselves.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I believe the OP is under the delusion that Oracle VM and Oracle VirtualBox are one in the same. They are not and use different architectures. If memory servers me properly I explained this to them once before, but it did not take.

To answer the question asked"
Is VirtualBox "KVM" or "Hyper-V" ?
It is neither. It is its own. The settings that you adjust are for compatibility reasons and specific timers. If you really want to know the answers to VirtualBox at this low a level you need to download the source and SDK and start studying.