Cannot get data from USB audio device in guest OS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot get data from USB audio device in guest OS

Post by socratis »

You did not enable USB3 (xHCI) in your VM settings before attempting to install the drivers. Enable it and the error goes away. Logico, no?

Another thing that I noticed is that you have a blank USB filter. That's really not a good idea, please delete it (New Filter 1).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
LateJunction
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Win 7

Post by LateJunction »

socratis wrote:You did not enable USB3 (xHCI) in your VM settings before attempting to install the drivers. Enable it and the error goes away. Logico, no?

Another thing that I noticed is that you have a blank USB filter. That's really not a good idea, please delete it (New Filter 1).
Now look here, just because you are right doesn't mean I can't say thank you. So, THANK YOU - really.

I wasn't sure if I should have enabled XHCI in USB settings in the VB GUI before installing the drivers or not; on balance I judged 'not' on the basis that I don't have any USB3 devices. In that regard I still do not understand why my VM needed USB3 drivers at all: there are no USB3 devices in the configuration and none are really necessary (are they ?) in the VM. USB 2 should have been adequate, surely?

Furthermore I don't realy understand the meaning of 'filter' for the USB settings - the use of the word confuses me. When I read the help guidance I felt it was telling me that a blank filter would support any USB - so that's why I chose that before discovering the 'correct' filters for the devices in my system. The blank one is now deleted.

Anyway, my VM app - VinylStudio - now works as the creator has documented it, almost entirely because of your guidance (of course a lot of blundering about but myself was vital, you understand). If you hadn't got me out of this mess (so I can proceed to the next one) I faced the prospect of adjusting the Linux partitions on my laptop to make room for a native Win7 dual boot install - and I remember the intense frustration that is caused when you do it in this, wrong, order resulting in 'what, me worry ?' Windows overwriting Linux GRUB.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

LateJunction wrote:In that regard I still do not understand why my VM needed USB3 drivers at all: there are no USB3 devices in the configuration and none are really necessary (are they ?) in the VM. USB 2 should have been adequate, surely?
The confusion stems from the fact that xHCI does not equal USB3. While xHCI supports USB3 (and is required for USB3), xHCI also handles USB2, and it is much more virtualization friendly than old USB controllers (OHCI/UHCI/EHCI). As far as VirtualBox is concerned, xHCI equals better USB support in general.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

LateJunction wrote:When I read the help guidance I felt it was telling me that a blank filter would support any USB
That is indeed true - but ponder the meaning of "any". That means it will grab any USB device at random whether you want it to or not. In modern times this is usually not what you want.

When I first started using VirtualBox my keyboard and mouse used PS/2 connectors, and I had no webcams or other crazy devices around. There was a good chance that the USB device I had in mind was the only USB device connected to my PC. That time has long passed, and hence so has the likely usefulness of a blank USB filter. Always make sure that any USB filter has just enough info - and not more - to uniquely select the specific USB device whose sole ownership and use is to be assigned to the VM.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:mouse used PS/2 connectors
Aren't you the lucky one? I used to have a serial port one! (oh man, anybody remembers those?). Truth be told, I think I still have it in the attic, just not the mouse. I think it got away... ;)
LateJunction wrote:just because you are right doesn't mean I can't say thank you.
Not unless it is accompanied by a public letter of apology. After sacrificing a virgin. Or a goat. Or a virgin goat, I don't remember the ritual exactly... :D

Looking back, I shouldn't have told you to blindly "do X', but have explained the reasoning behind it, just like michaln did. Actually it was his guidance, reasoning and success stories that I was following.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
goodkat

Post by goodkat »

Hey I have the same USB issue. I have downloaded the USB extension for usb3.0 support. Moreover, I have usb3 (xHCI) ON in my settings.

Despite this I still get an error "PC doesn't meet hardware requirements" when trying to install USB drivers on my VM. PLEASE PLEAE help. I can't bang my head against the wall anymore. I've attached my VM log file if that helps.

I'm running Win7 on my VM and Win10 on my host.
Attachments
VM log file.zip
(30.97 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

What drivers are you trying to install in the VM?

Are you referring to xHCI drivers? I note that Win7 has no native xHCI(USB3) support.

Why is it important to use a USB audio device for a VM that seems to contain a BMW Workshop Manual? I'd have though the default audio output would be fine for that... and in fact the log appears to show Intel HD Audio working quite well.