VirtualBox killing power to USB Ports for iPhone

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
userx

VirtualBox killing power to USB Ports for iPhone

Post by userx »

Whenever VirtualBox is installed on my Linux system it always kills the ability to change any of my iPhone/iPods. As soon as I uninstall it my ability to charge an iPhone/iPod returns. It recognizes the iPhone. It is that VirtualBox just some whatever reason no longer allows power to the iPhone to charge it. But an Android phone or a portable battery to charge a phone. I can still charge them. Just not the Apple products.

How do I fix this problem other than uninstall VirtualBox every time i want/need to charge my iPhone using my laptop?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox killing power to USB Ports for iPhone

Post by socratis »

Open a Command Prompt window. Navigate to the VirtualBox installation directory (typically "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\"). If you're on Linux, OSX, just open Terminal. Type the command:
  • VBoxBugReport "<VM_Name>"
It will generate a "YYYY-MM-DD-HH-mm-SS-bugreport.tgz" file in the current directory. Attach that file in your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
userx

Post by userx »

1. this is the actual VBox app issue actually. it is not really tied to any one VM-OS install. as I just reinstalled it and have no Installs of an OS of any kind in VBox yet. so would there be any other method of getting the bug data, or would it be best to install an OS into VirtualBox first then run that command?

(installing an os is not the actual issue, that is simple. if need be to get the information then that is what I will do. It'll just be a little longer wait to get the data is all)
Last edited by socratis on 6. Jan 2017, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
userx

Post by userx »

socratis wrote:Open a Command Prompt window. Navigate to the VirtualBox installation directory (typically "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\"). If you're on Linux, OSX, just open Terminal. Type the command:
  • VBoxBugReport "<VM_Name>"
It will generate a "YYYY-MM-DD-HH-mm-SS-bugreport.tgz" file in the current directory. Attach that file in your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Not found???

Code: Select all

userx@voider/media/data/VirtualBox VMs:>> sudo VBoxBugReport "slint64"
sudo: VBoxBugReport: command not found
userx@voider/media/data/VirtualBox VMs:>> su
Password: 
# VBoxBugReport
sh: 1: VBoxBugReport: not found
VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 5.1.12 r112440
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

1. Where did you get VirtualBox from and how did you install it? From your distro's package manager?
  2. Do you mind sharing some really fundamental details, like host complete information and VirtualBox complete information? It's the cornerstone of a proper problem report.
  3. If you believe it's not related to a VM, simply run "VBoxBugReport" without any arguments.
  4. I don't remember telling you to use "sudo" or "su". Please don't. VirtualBox runs in the context of each user. Switching users makes things harder if not impossible.
  5. If you want to quote a part of a message, quote just that part. Do not quote the whole previous message please.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.