How to use all button of the logitech mx master mouse in the guest?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
LostSoul

How to use all button of the logitech mx master mouse in the guest?

Post by LostSoul »

I have ubuntu as host where everything (including the horizontal scroll) works without the logitech software.
However in the guest which is debian, the horizontal scroll doesn't work. Is there any way to make it work?
(back and forward buttons work)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to use all button of the logitech mx master mouse in the guest?

Post by socratis »

Does it work on Debian itself? Booted on a physical computer?
Or another way is to try the same guest as your host. If it works, you'll know it's Debian that's not supporting the horizontal scrolling.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
LostSoul

Post by LostSoul »

Oddly enough it started working yesterday shortly after I posted this. Just like that, i haven't changed anything. I found that I have to keep the mouse pointer a little bit over the active window for the horizontal scroll to work.
It should work on Debian as host, since it's very close to Ubuntu. However, I was thinking that virtualbox doesn't forward the extra buttons since in the config the only option for mouse is PS/2 mouse.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

LostSoul wrote:I found that I have to keep the mouse pointer a little bit over the active window for the horizontal scroll to work.
Maybe it's the specific Window Manager or your Application that does that.
LostSoul wrote:in the config the only option for mouse is PS/2 mouse.
Unless 1) you're using the forked VirtualBox from the Ubuntu repository and not from the official site, and 2) they have changed things, you normally have 3 options: PS/2 Mouse, USB Tablet and USB Multi-Touch Tablet.

But since it works, apparently VirtualBox is passing through the appropriate mouse events.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
LostSoul

Post by LostSoul »

socratis wrote:
LostSoul wrote:in the config the only option for mouse is PS/2 mouse.
Unless 1) you're using the forked VirtualBox from the Ubuntu repository and not from the official site, and 2) they have changed things, you normally have 3 options: PS/2 Mouse, USB Tablet and USB Multi-Touch Tablet.

But since it works, apparently VirtualBox is passing through the appropriate mouse events.
Yes I have the tablet options as well but didn't mention them because didn't think they are relevant.
Will test some more, thank you!