Linix Mint 18 Vbox Error when Starting Virtual Machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ifigomissing

Linix Mint 18 Vbox Error when Starting Virtual Machine

Post by ifigomissing »

Brand new to linux and vbox. I am taking a class on lynda . com and the instrructor walks us through the installation of vbox and creates a machine using fedora workstation.

I am running Mint 18 so I downloaded the xenial package from the download page.

I installed it and Vbox starts just fine. I created a new machine with fedora and attached the proper iso as instructed.

when I start the machine I get the following error:
RTR3InitEx failed with rc=-1912 (rc=-1912)
The VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox. The installation of VirtualBox was apparently not successful. Executing
'/sbin/vboxconfig'
may correct this. Make sure that you do not mix the OSE version and the PUEL version of VirtualBox.
where: supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime what: 4 VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH (-1912) - The installed support driver doesn't match the version of the user.
so I ran the suggested script and still get the same error.

Any suggestions?

EDIT - Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. I deleted it there an reposted here.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Linix Mint 18 Vbox Error when Starting Virtual Machine

Post by Perryg »

The error suggests that you have tried to mix the distro fork, or self compiled version with the PUEL version from VirtualBox. No matter how this happened you need to purge everything VirtualBox from the host, reboot and then install a clean version to get this going. Since you are new to Linux it may be easier for you to use a helper program like synaptic or aptitude to remove all traces.