Virtual Box cant seem to find my USB

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
DeusOlim

Virtual Box cant seem to find my USB

Post by DeusOlim »

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and don't know if I am posting in the right place but almighty Google didn't have the answer to what I'm looking for so I have come here in hopes that you all can enlighten me on what I am doing wrong.

A little about my system I am running on a dell with my operating system being Centos 7 on an M2 card with 64gb of ram. I have virtual box version 5.8 installed with guest additions as well as extensions installed.
Sp I have a USB plugged into my USB 3 but in the virtual box program (not the machine) it is not showing up when i go into the setting and look for it to capture it. is there something I am missing that isnt letting me view the USB or is it something glaringly obvious that I am just stupidly overlooking?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Virtual Box cant seem to find my USB

Post by Perryg »

Post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.
DeusOlim

Post by DeusOlim »

Here is the Log for the guest
Attachments
UPS-2016-12-02-14-03-51.log
(99.04 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Log shows the availability of the device. What does id report from the hosts terminal?

Actually this appears to be a Linux host and Windows guest. so moving to Linux as host.
DeusOlim

Post by DeusOlim »

I found the problem which was something glaringly obvious. I wasnt running in root so my virtual box needed permissions to capture and view usb devices
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Never run in root. Just add your user name to the vboxusers group and reboot. Running in root is very bad.
DeusOlim

Post by DeusOlim »

Yeah thats what I did