Aion Flickering Graphics/Wild Camera-POV Issue VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
jimwg

Aion Flickering Graphics/Wild Camera-POV Issue VirtualBox

Post by jimwg »

Seasons Greetings!

I just got Aion running again on my Linux Mint 18.0 T400 Thinkpad via VirtualBox 5.10 and using Ubuntu mavens advice used Safe mode to install DirectX3D in it. I previously managed to run Aion on the previous VirtualBox version but suffered an unrelated hard drive crash and after reinstall, now found that Aion runs slightly choppy and some text and the main avatar's polygon parts flicker and disappear and reappear as if rapidly being refreshed, although backgrounds and non-animated avatars are completely stable. I surmise that this must be a DirectX issue somehow because I don't recall installing it the first time around and I'm sorry I didn't jot down the VirtualBox settings and configuration prior the crash. I'm hoping there are Aion gamers on this blog who might have come across the same issues.

Another issue BTW, on both Aion installs it seems your camera POV angle greatly exaggerates your control and movement and it's very difficult to center your avatar on a even keel floor. I tried turning off the camera alignment view in Aion but no go. Is this a VirtualBox effect I can nullify somehow?

Thank you for any advice.

Jim in NYC
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Aion Flickering Graphics/Wild Camera-POV Issue VirtualBox

Post by socratis »

I would suggest to not describe the problems in terms of Aion (I had to look it up), because your chances of having a similar issue would be minimal to none (leaning towards none). And avatar icons and camera alignment are not really VirtualBox hot topics.

And who's "Ubuntu mavens" and why did you follow that advice? Does it advise towards VMs or real hardware?

Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.

Oh, and BTW, this is not a blog, it's a forum.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
jimwg

Post by jimwg »

socratis wrote:I would suggest to not describe the problems in terms of Aion (I had to look it up), because your chances of having a similar issue would be minimal to none (leaning towards none). And avatar icons and camera alignment are not really VirtualBox hot topics.

And who's "Ubuntu mavens" and why did you follow that advice? Does it advise towards VMs or real hardware?

Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.

Oh, and BTW, this is not a blog, it's a forum.
I apologize if I offended or wasn't specific enough. Understand it was only by VirtualBox that I'm able to run games like Aion on a mint PC and since the issues don't appear running on a prue windows machine I naturally assumed that they are based on that I'm running on VM. The Ubuntu mavens were the first ones who jumped in on my call for help at the Aion site and I don't want to turn any help down. Thanks for the really rapid response!
jimwg

Post by jimwg »

mpack wrote:Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Thank you SO much for you assistance and time! I hope what I fetched for you is the right stuff because the show log menu offered me 4 versions of the log, not one as requested. Thanks for any recommendations!

Jim in NYC
Attachments
VBLogs.zip
bv logs
(96.75 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

jimwg wrote:the show log menu offered me 4 versions of the log, not one as requested.
Please in future provide only what I asked for (I said "VBox.log (ONLY)"), as there's a limit on how much time I want to spend reading someone's logs.
VBox.log wrote: 00:00:03.766580 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VENDOR: Intel Open Source Technology Center
00:00:03.766614 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_RENDERER: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset
00:00:03.766618 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VERSION: 2.1 Mesa 11.2.0
That seems a rather old OpenGL implementation to me, plus I've had problems with Intel OpenGL support before. You might want to check for host driver updates. Had it been a desktop I'd have suggested installing a good gaming graphics card, unfortunately I assume that's not an option with a Thinkpad.
VBox.log wrote: 00:00:03.600004 Guest OS type: 'WindowsXP'
00:00:03.793035 Name <string> = "Win7-32" (cb=8)
It isn't a good idea to select a guest OS template that doesn't match the guest OS.
VBox.log wrote: 00:00:03.794147 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000003700000 (57 671 680, 55 MB)
VRAM seems a bit low if you're gaming. You have plenty of RAM on the host, I'd up this to 128MB.
VBox.log wrote: 00:00:03.622189 File system of '/mnt/35e5efc6-ecf4-409c-8a95-3b5afd42eaee/VirtualBox VMs/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (DVD) is ext4
You should eject the GAs CD once the GAs are installed.

That's everything that jumps out at me.