Windows 7 on ext4 partition in VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
pkvirtual

Windows 7 on ext4 partition in VM

Post by pkvirtual »

Hi,

My VM was installed on ext4 partition and I receive the warning message (attached) that this might lead to corrupt virtual disk image.
Should I be bothered?
If so, please suggest me how could I implement the solution provided in the warning message.

Thank you.
Attachments
ext4 warning
ext4 warning
Screenshot-1.png (33.61 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 7 on ext4 partition in VM

Post by socratis »

pkvirtual wrote:Should I be bothered?
I definitely would! I mean, the developers took the time to create a special warning for a very specific case after all.

Is there anything preventing you from enabling the host I/O cache in the VM? It's even going to improve performance! I still haven't figured out why it's not the default...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
WFV
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: ArchLinux; Fedora; Ubuntu; Win7pro64; WinXP

Post by WFV »

pkvirtual wrote:Should I be bothered?
If you are installing the W7 guest on bare metal, why wouldn't you format the partition to Windows preferred NTFS instead?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@WFV
The installation is not on bare metal. The Win VM simply resides on an ext4 partition.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.