Audio files: sound cut-off before end

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
froff
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: windows xp, windows7

Audio files: sound cut-off before end

Post by froff »

Hi all
Recently after some system updates (debian) I observe a strange behaviour with sound inside windows guest.
A stream from any sound file - no mater whether raw or compressed - is cut-off before reaching the end.
Sth like 0.5s is lost at the end. 100% reproductible. Seems that something is wrong with buffering.
Sound driver in use is pulseaudio.
VBox version: 5.1.8
Host: Debian Stretch AMD64, kernel 4.7
Guest: Windows XP 32bit
Any ideas for further investigation or solution?

regards for all
Last edited by froff on 25. Nov 2016, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
JSA
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows Linux

Re: Audio files: sound cut-off before end

Post by JSA »

I see the same thing. Manjaro host, Windows guest.

If the sound pauses (or gets very low, it will get cut off. But it if is steady, like a song, it seems to play to the end. Its like there is some VOX like silence detection going on.

V 5.1.8
Last edited by JSA on 20. Nov 2016, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.
Nasarius

Post by Nasarius »

Same problem with a Windows XP guest on a Windows host. I fixed it by downgrading to VirtualBox 5.0.28, so this definitely seems like a new bug in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

So, the common denominator seems to be the "Windows" guest? Should this be moved to "Windows Guests" then?

To all three of you, please, when reporting something, always report host, guest and VirtualBox. Exact versions. Not "Windows on Linux with the latest VirtualBox". Doesn't help that much...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JSA
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows Linux

Post by JSA »

Problem seems totally fixed in 5.1.10 r112026 as long as the the Virtual Machine's Audio is set to use the Host's Pulse Audio Driver.
Sounds play to completion and sound quality is very good.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Yes, that would be because they reverted the whole audio related codebase to 5.0.x until they have a better codebase to implement. The 5.1.x one had plenty of issues...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.