Bridged networking non-functional

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
timk6

Bridged networking non-functional

Post by timk6 »

I just created a Debian 8 vm with NAT networking and then switched the VM config to bridged and restarted it. It's otherwise a virgin install.

I can access the VM now (with ssh) but the VM has a completely non-functional network (except that I can ssh in). It can initiate connections (to internet web sites, for e.g.) but hangs connecting to anything. Testing against a webserver I see it received a 200 OK but then hangs before starting any download. Similar problem with other protocols.

Also, there seems to be no way to send the guest a "ctrl-C" anymore, what happened to that? I can't interrupt any processes on this VM without powering it off or ssh-ing in and killing it. Pretty silly. How can I add a shortcut key to send an interrupt? There doesn't seem to be a way from Input -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Settings, which is what looks like the right place.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Bridged networking non-functional

Post by socratis »

timk6 wrote:I can access the VM now (with ssh) but the VM has a completely non-functional network
• So, 'ssh' works, but 'http' doesn't? Is that correct?
• What about 'ftp', 'ping', 'smtp' or other protocols?
• Any firewall rules? Host and/or guest, and/or router?
• Is bridged on wireless or wired connection?

Read the Minimum information needed for assistance. We know some things about your guest (Debian 8, 32/64-bit?), but nothing about your host. And post the 'ifconfig' output of host/guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
timk6

Re: Bridged networking non-functional

Post by timk6 »

I managed to solve the issue by using the virtio-net ethernet adapter for the guest. None of the others would work at all, a few seconds of operation and then nothing.