Excel hangs while accessing \\VBOXSVR folder

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
fdsrevices

Excel hangs while accessing \\VBOXSVR folder

Post by fdsrevices »

I am running VirtualBox Version 5.1.6 r110634 with the Guest Additions of the same version. Ihave also installed the Oracle Extension 5.6.1

This runs on a Linux Server and Windows 7 Ultimate Guest

The server is running on up-to-date Arch Linux: Linux acer 4.7.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Sep 30 19:28:42 CEST 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux

From time to time, normally when I am running Excel, but I doubt that is relevant, when I try to access the \\VBOXSVR drive the Excel stops responding and I have to a) restart excel, to save the state of the work, and then b) reboot windows, to carry on working. This has only started to happen recently and only happens from time to time.

Should I move to a SAMBA mount in place of VBOXSVR, would that be more stable I wonder?

Thanks for any ideas

Andrew
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Excel hangs while accessing \\VBOXSVR folder

Post by Martin »

If you have the possibility to move to a SAMBA mount, that would be much more stable.
VBox shared folders don't support many advanced access option used by applications.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@fdsrevices
The funny thing is that you have already replied to yourself... In 2007!!! ;)
fdsrevices on 2007-07-11, 20:57 wrote:I found that the Shared Folders feature does not work at all with some programmes. Seems like it is a bit hit and miss in that respect.

Andrew
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fdsrevices

Post by fdsrevices »

That was a long time ago :D

Andrew