Can start VM from snapshot

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Gutchi

Can start VM from snapshot

Post by Gutchi »

Hello,

I'm on debian jessie, i have a windows VM and this VM have 4 snapshots, when i restore the two older it run perfectly, but if i try to restore the two recent it failed and i have this error:

Code: Select all

ahci#0: The target VM is missing a device on port 0. Please make sure the source and target VMs have compatible storage configurations [ver=8 pass=final] (VERR_SSM_LOAD_CONFIG_MISMATCH).

Code d'erreur : 
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Composant : 
ConsoleWrap
Interface : 
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
And in VM configuration the vdi disk is missing! Is there a solution to correct it?

Thank you!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Can start VM from snapshot

Post by mpack »

The error has nothing to do with snapshots. Try discarding the saved state. (Right click VM, Discard saved state). In future you had best try to avoid updating VirtualBox while you have VMs (or snapshots of VMs) in saved states: it is saving the state of hardware which might change significantly in the next update.
Gutchi

Post by Gutchi »

I have do it, and the disk is still missing, so VM can't boot. I have some work on previous snapshoot, i someone know a way to not remove it...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

One quick fix would be to:
  • uninstall the version that you have now,
  • download the previous version of VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds),
  • launch your VM,
  • shut it down properly, i.e. not paused, not saved state, but complete shut down (remove any CDs that you might have before that) and
  • update VirtualBox again.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.