How to find webcam inputs setting on a VM on Virtualbox?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Sisterpixel

How to find webcam inputs setting on a VM on Virtualbox?

Post by Sisterpixel »

Hello
I wanted to know how to change the webcam inputs for the VMS? I didn't see it in setting? The inputs i'm talking about is what it's called "Webcam0" or 'Webcam01' the path for the webcam is dev/video1 or dev/video2 . how do u assign an input to a VM? I looked everywhere and couldnt find it....
Any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you very much
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Re: How to find webcam inputs setting on a VM on Virtualbox?

Post by Ramshankar »

"The host webcam can be attached to the VM using "Devices" menu in the VM menu bar. The "Webcams" menu contains a list of available video input devices on the host. Clicking on a webcam name attaches or detaches the corresponding host device."

Check the User manual for more info:
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#idm7598
Oracle Corp.
Sisterpixel

Post by Sisterpixel »

Ramshankar wrote:"The host webcam can be attached to the VM using "Devices" menu in the VM menu bar. The "Webcams" menu contains a list of available video input devices on the host. Clicking on a webcam name attaches or detaches the corresponding host device."

Check the User manual for more info:
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#idm7598
Hello. Thank you for replying back. I had a read over manual. and noticed i didnt have teh extension pack. Installing it now. Hope it will solve my problems. Hopefully it wont mess up my VMs.
Thanks again for teh guild. I will be back for more if i couldnt fix it
Sisterpixel

Post by Sisterpixel »

Update:
The extension pack showed the webcams and all,. But i accidentally clicked on Factory reset and i lost one of my VM's everything in it. Ugh
What i'm using is Androind Emulaor named Genymotion. I tried to load my cam on Virtual box. Buy sadly it can't save the setting, So when i start the VM from Genymotion. It's like i did nothing.
It's difficult to explain.
But are Webcam setting anywhere else other than bar menu? Like in setting for a Vm?
Thank you vry much
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

The webcam options are not saved. You have to capture it every time.
Genymotion uses VirtualBox, but it is not VirtualBox. So, if you have a problem with Genymotion, seek help in their site. If you have a problem just with VirtualBox, then you can continue the discussion here.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.