Weird Ubuntu -> XP Pro and Antivirus = Crash

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Morons
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Win 7

Weird Ubuntu -> XP Pro and Antivirus = Crash

Post by Morons »

Hello there !

Background:
I have a Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop PC with VirtualBox Version 5.1.4 r110228 (Qt5.5.1)
Inside Virtualbox I have installed Windows XP SP3
I copied the .vdi from an old setup on Ubuntu 12.04 (U cee Upgrade was needed as 12.04 go out of support now) and run it on this new set-up, Well It crashed!!! While in the old config it ran.
After 3 days of building and re-building I started from scratch with a new Vbox and installed everything again – lot of effort.
As this is non mission critical I installed Avast free and then My NEW Vbox crashed, I could remove Avast in Safe Mode with Networking.

I then decided to use one of my Eset Licenses because I need a AV I installed eea_nt32_enu.msi.
Before it could finish - @ about 9x% the Vbox Crashed!!

I’m open to AV suggestions in this case as I am now witout protection on that primitive OS

Included is the VBox Crash Report. :oops: Sorry about the ZIP - Otherwise ites to large for the forum
Attachments
WinXpPastel-2016-09-07-20-04-44.zip
Crash Logfile - Sorry about the ZIP - Otherwise ites to large for the forum
(61.97 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Weird Ubuntu -> XP Pro and Antivirus = Crash

Post by mpack »

Not a "Using VirtualBox" question. Moved to Linux Hosts.

You have VT-x enabled in the VM settings, but it seems to be disabled in the host BIOS. I recommend that you fix the latter.

You could also try turning VT-x off in the VM settings, but I'm not sure that's a option: the crash indicates that the guest did something not compatible with a simple VM.