VirtualBox 5.1 additions

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
mike271

VirtualBox 5.1 additions

Post by mike271 »

I unistalled an old version of VBox (4.36) and installed 5.1 following this tutorial tecadmin*net|install-oracle-virtualbox-on-ubuntu on my Debian 7 machine.
After installing I wanted to add Guest Additions using

Code: Select all

apt-get install virtualbox-5.1-guest-utils
, but no such package exists, so I used

apt-get install virtualbox-guest-utils
. The problem is that

dpkg --list | grep virtualbox
now gives the following

ii  virtualbox-5.1                           5.1.4-110228~Debian~wheezy         amd64        Oracle VM VirtualBox
ii  virtualbox-guest-dkms                    4.1.42-dfsg-1+deb7u1               all          x86 virtualization solution - guest addition module source for dkms
ii  virtualbox-guest-utils                   4.1.42-dfsg-1+deb7u1               amd64        x86 virtualization solution - non-X11 guest utilities
ii  virtualbox-guest-x11                     4.1.42-dfsg-1+deb7u1               amd64        x86 virtualization solution - X11 guest utilities
VBox seemed working well before the additions installation and now it's working as well, however I don't feel good about having old additions. What should I do about it? Use

apt-get remove --purge ...
to get rid of them?
Is it possible to get new version of them?
JSA
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows Linux

Re: VirtualBox 5.1 additions

Post by JSA »

Yes of course its possible to get upgrades. Your howt Disto should supply them (package named something like The official VirtualBox Guest Additions ISO image). Or you can install direct from virtualbox.org.

Download the package for guest extentions, (its just a iso file that you do not use on the host), then in the VM (via the gui), tell it to mount the Guest Extensions disk and install them in the VM.
mike271

Re: VirtualBox 5.1 additions

Post by mike271 »

Thanks a lot, I downloaded the deb package, ran

dpkg -i virtualbox-5.1_5.1.4-110228~Debian~wheezy_amd64.deb
and then mounted the iso to each virtual machine