NAT Network mode does not ping

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Sil

NAT Network mode does not ping

Post by Sil »

Hi all,
I'm creating few ubuntu server VMs and I need 2 network interfaces: 1 NAT network (the one with different IP for each VM), and 1 host only network.
During the installation wizard says that it is not possible tha automatic configuration of the network (it is not able to find the dhcp server), so I have to manually configure the network.
First request is the IP address (I put 10.0.2.10), the netmask, the gtw, and the DNS server (8.8.8.8).
When the installation ends, I access into the machine and try to ping 8.8.8.8 but the destination host is unreachable.
Than I also tried with the NAT mode (the one with the same IP for all VMs) and it is able to ping externally.
What could be the problem?
If you need further information, please, ask.

Thanks

Silvia
JSA
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows Linux

Re: NAT Network mode does not ping

Post by JSA »

You should be asking yourself why it can't find the dhcp server.

When running NAT, VirtualBox creates a network for the VM, and supplies a default gateway, and a dhcp server, and the whole nine yards. All you need do is tell your Virtual Machine to obtain an IP automatically,

Its not clear from your description if the problem obaining an IP is on the Nat interface or the Host Only interface. Also its not clear which interface you are pinging from. "man ping" will tell you how to direct pin to use a specific interface. Nat should ping to anywhere. Host-only, not so much.