There is NO sound after update from VirtualBox 5.1.2, Hosts and Guests are different

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
pentagonik
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Too many to specify!

Re: There is NO sound after update to VirtualBox 5.1.4, Host: Linux Ubuntu 14.04

Post by pentagonik »

Can you please try if 5.1.8 fixes the problem for you?
JSA
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows Linux

Re: There is NO sound after update to VirtualBox 5.1.4, Host: Linux Ubuntu 14.04

Post by JSA »

Still no sound in 5.1.8 <----- Yes, that's an eight!!
Manjaro (arch) Host, Windows Guest.
It worked under 5.1.2 and briefly under 5.1.6, then it dropped out.
macachuto
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, windows, FreeBSD

Re: There is NO sound after update to VirtualBox 5.1.8, Host: Linux Ubuntu 14.04

Post by macachuto »

Thank you
I have updated the topic.
RanzQ

Post by RanzQ »

jimnms wrote:I too still do not have sound with 5.1.6. Reverting to 5.1.2 restores sound.

I just noticed this is the Linux Hosts forum, but my host OS is Windows 10. This was the only post I found when I searched for the problem after upgrading to 5.1.4. Should I start a new topic in the Windows Hosts forum, or does it matter since there are already bug tickets for the problem from both OSes?
Just adding that 5.1.8 is broken on Win10 too, Debian 8 guest here.
WFV
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: ArchLinux; Fedora; Ubuntu; Win7pro64; WinXP

Re: There is NO sound after update to VirtualBox 5.1.8, Host: Linux Ubuntu 14.04

Post by WFV »

Just curious why the topic is "There is NO sound after update to VirtualBox 5.1.8, Host: Linux Ubuntu 14.04" when the highest rev mentioned in here is 5.1.6? I had similar problem when first upgraded to 5.1.6 but turned out had to change the Guest Audio setting was all. For me it was changing it to Pulse Audio: Intel HD Audio for all guests except an XP guest, had to leave it set to "ICH AC97". I did upgrade to VirtualBox 5.1.8 today and the Win7pro64, Ubuntu1404LTS, and Arch4.8.4-1 guests all loaded and ran very sluggish, and the audio was broken and lagging. I thought it was due to the java runtime environment (VBox complained about it during upgrade) so I set it to latest (8), was 7, but that made no difference, and the XP guest would not load at all, only blue-screen. Also updated all guests to the 5.1.8 guest additions except XP (can't update a blue-screened guest). So rolled Linux host kernel back to 4.7 from 4.8 and VBox back to 5.1.6 and everything working again (also reset java to 7 but not sure if that mattered at this point). So is not that I had no sound in 5.1.8, just sound that was unintelligible.
Iamblichus

Post by Iamblichus »

I am also having delayed sound on Ubuntu 16.4 guests (Xbuntu and Mint) with 5.1.8. I have this issue on both a Win7 host and an Xbuntu 16.4 host. Downgrading to 5.1.2 fixes it for me as well.
macachuto
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, windows, FreeBSD

Re: There is NO sound after update from VirtualBox 5.1.2, Hosts and Guests are different

Post by macachuto »

Hello

I have changed the topic. If it is still unclear, advice me how shout I call it.

Also you can add some comments to my buf ticket:
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15859

It looks like developers completely ignore our problem with sound.