New install failing on Ubuntu, Kernel mod

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Rikk

New install failing on Ubuntu, Kernel mod

Post by Rikk »

I have a new install of kumbuntu (Umbuntu using KDE). The install works until is compiles and install the kernel mods.

I ran /sbin/vboxconfig, and /sbin/rcvboxdrv setup but still get "failed: modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why." b
dmesg doesn't give any info but vbox-install.log in /var/log includes the following info:

make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/4.4.0-34-generic/build -j4 modules
make[1]: warning: -jN forced in submake: disabling jobserver mode.
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || ( \
echo >&2; \
echo >&2 " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
echo >&2 " include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo >&2 " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it."; \
echo >&2 ; \
/bin/false)
mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions/*
make -f ./scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0

I noticed the error Kernel configuration is invalid, I'm not versed in rebuilding kernels can some one help out on this?

Best wishes
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: New install failing on Ubuntu, Kernel mod

Post by Perryg »

What you noticed was "echo" code. If you post the complete install log ( as an attachment ) it might be more informative.

At would also help if you posted the exact version of the host and where you got your VirtualBox install.
Rikk

Re: New install failing on Ubuntu, Kernel mod

Post by Rikk »

Found out it has to do with the secure boot and the new kernel. I turned off secure boot on the computer re-installed the os and it works as it should now. Mod files need to be signed in order to be used