problem starting virtualbox webservice

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
nobuteru

problem starting virtualbox webservice

Post by nobuteru »

Hello,
I am testing openmediavault 2.0, it is based on debian wheezy.
I have installed extra plug in to install virtualbox plug in and phpvirtualbox
Everything fine.

My problem is when I run vboxweb-service as root and as vbox user it fails because it can't write pid file in /run, how to solve it? it give me "permission denied on /run"
when I run /usr/bin/vboxwebsrv -H 192.168.0.13 --background it works fine as vbox and root user (I see it doesn't create so pid file in /run)

thank you, and sorry for my bad/wrong english
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: problem starting virtualbox webservice

Post by socratis »

nobuteru wrote:I have installed extra plug in to install virtualbox plug in and phpvirtualbox
What is that "plugin"? Keep in mind that only official, standalone VirtualBox versions get support in these forums. If you're having problems with external plugins or 3rd party programs, like phpVirtualBox, you'll have to ask in their forums.
nobuteru wrote:when I run vboxweb-service as root and as vbox user
Why would you run as root? Or as vboxuser?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nobuteru

Re: problem starting virtualbox webservice

Post by nobuteru »

socratis wrote:
nobuteru wrote:I have installed extra plug in to install virtualbox plug in and phpvirtualbox
What is that "plugin"? Keep in mind that only official, standalone VirtualBox versions get support in these forums. If you're having problems with external plugins or 3rd party programs, like phpVirtualBox, you'll have to ask in their forums.
I am agree with you at 100%, I have absolutely no problems with plug-ins (like phpvirtualbox and so on (omv2 extra plug ins, virtualbox plugin), as I wrote in the past post)
but I have a problem starting virtualbox web service (also at boot), as I wrote, so I am here
socratis wrote:
nobuteru wrote:when I run vboxweb-service as root and as vbox user
Why would you run as root? Or as vboxuser?
when I run /usr/bin/vboxwebsrv -H 192.168.0.13 --background it works fine as vbox user ans as root

example:
su vbox -c '' /usr/bin/vboxwebsrv -H 192.168.0.13 --background'

instead when I start vboxwebserver from init script '/etc/init.d/vboxweb-service start' as root or as vbox it fails everytime (that script run at boot)
I also tryed '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' as suggest on internet searching's results, but not succeed to solve starting web service problem

I read at https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09. ... srv-daemon
have I to change VBOX_USER variable to another user instead vbox??? (that user is in vboxusers group, I checked, also if I create a new user to start web-service it must be in that group as i suppose)

my virtualbox version is 4.3 on a debian wheezy based distro

I think, but I am not sure, that scripts fails to create pid file in /run (also if I run it as root)

sorry for late reply but forum don't allow me to wite post with urls, I had to wait 1 day, till now

any idea how to solve starting virtualbox web service at boot with his regular script?

thanks, bye
nobuteru

[solved] Re: problem starting virtualbox webservice

Post by nobuteru »

Hi I tryed to erase e reinstall openmediavault distro at the last attempt it works at 100%...

maybe I did something wrong during virtualbox install procedure

thanks all
bye