Question about not starting guests

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Abrugal

Question about not starting guests

Post by Abrugal »

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Win7 64.

Every time I reboot the Linux host and try to start any VM, the following pops up instead:
The virtual machine 'Win7 64' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {f30138d4-*****-*****-*****-a059de4c93fd}
Then another dialog pops up:
RTR3InitEx failed with rc=-1912 (rc=-1912)

The VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox. The installation of VirtualBox was apparently not successful. Executing

'/sbin/rcvboxdrv setup'

may correct this. Make sure that you do not mix the OSE version and the PUEL version of VirtualBox.

where: supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime what: 4 VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH (-1912) - The installed support driver doesn't match the version of the user.
Then I run the suggested command in sudo and it's fine and dandy until the next reboot.
This started with the installation of 5.0.22 r108108.

Any idea what is fubared this time?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Question about not starting guests

Post by Perryg »

Make sure that you do not mix the OSE version and the PUEL version of VirtualBox.
Did you have the OSE version installed at some point? If so the OSE version should have been purged before you install the official version of VirtualBox.

Fix is to purge and install again.
Abrugal

Post by Abrugal »

I have no clue what OSE is. Is this something Oracle made available for download on this page? at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
When I need to install VB, I go to that page and download whatever's current for the day and have no way of knowing if that is 'OSE' or anything else.

Anyhow, I just purged and reinstalled it for N-th time where N >> 1 but it still does not want to work.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

OSE: Open Source Edition. Usually modified by different providers/distros. Also known as forkable.
PUEL: Personal Use and Evaluation License. The one that you download from the official site.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

As well as compiling with the official source from VirtualBox.

But the reason I asked in the first place was because of the error message you posted. We first need to follow the obvious before we can move on to the meat of the issue. Since Ubuntu does provide a version that is installed using their software center and given that during the install of the official version it tricks you into installing their version I still am not sure that you in fact have a clean install of the official version from VirtualBox. I found the software center issue a while back when trying to install the binaries from VirtualBox.org.

The easiest way is to purge the install and then make sure that all traces of the install are in fact gone. Then use dpkg to install the official version which will force a bypass of the software center application. Then see if the same error happens.
Abrugal

Post by Abrugal »

Can you provide the instructions on how to purge beyond uninstalling? And no, I am not using the POS Ubuntu, I am on Fedora.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

How did you install it in the first place?
Abrugal

Post by Abrugal »

Here's how you install on Fedora/RHEL:

yum install program.rpm

And here's how you uninstall:

yum erase program
Abrugal

Post by Abrugal »

Can we please get to the bottom of this unpleasant issue?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I thought you had given your previous post, but apparently not. As for how you use your Fedora host that is between you and Fedora. All I can tell you from what you have posted so far is it looks like you have/had a version from some other supplier like rmpfusion and we don't support that either. My suggestion is to contact the Fedora folks and ask them how to clean it up.
Abrugal

Post by Abrugal »

Not 100% sure I understand you, but hoping I do. Reaching out to Fedora folks is like talking to an air hammer operator - even if he wanted to hear, his ears are plugged.
Anywho, after searching on the file system for *virtualbox* after removing the RPM and deleting everything found which was not the folder with the VHDs, then Nth time reinstalling 5.0.26 it started working.

Of course I lost all snapshots, as importing an existing machine seems impossible, but that is a small price to pay for finally being able to do work.

But then I discovered that ALSA sound is not working anymore. Pulse kind of works, but as always with horrible latency. Did Oracle decide to dump ALSA support? (It is still available in the drop down) I really need ALSA to work as I am using the VM for VOIP and PA horrible latency is kind of killing me. Any useful tips?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I have not used alsa for some time but it may be that they are phasing it out. I rather think it is because they are re-working the audio code and allowing IntelHD audio in ( newer ) Linux guests. I suggest you post a ticket to bugtracker explaining in detail the audio problem.
Abrugal

Post by Abrugal »

I was too optimistic. After reboot it is back to ground zero.

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Win7 64.

The virtual machine 'Win7 64' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}

Code: Select all

RTR3InitEx failed with rc=-1912 (rc=-1912)

The VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox. The installation of VirtualBox was apparently not successful. Executing

'/sbin/rcvboxdrv setup'

may correct this. Make sure that you do not mix the OSE version and the PUEL version of VirtualBox.

where: supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime what: 4 VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH (-1912) - The installed support driver doesn't match the version of the user. 
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

What does VBoxManage -v produce from the hosts terminal?
Abrugal

Post by Abrugal »

Perryg wrote:What does VBoxManage -v produce from the hosts terminal?
5.0.26r108824