Crackling sound in Windows 10 64-bit

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.

Re: Crackling sound in Windows 10 64-bit

Postby CarbonPepper » 23. Jan 2019, 15:26

AirKetchup wrote:4. set the number of cpus to 3 or more

Confirmed! Thank you!

Running Ubuntu 18.04, I've had this problem with a few Windows 10 VMs for over a year (on 16.04 hosts as well).
Sound was running fine on Windows 10 VM, using vanilla install with Pulseaudio sound, but after a windows update the sound became choppy. Another separate win 10 VM was fine, and duplicating settings from one to the other made no difference. I held back on letting the second VM do a windows update, but did eventually and then it got the problem too.
Even a fresh windows 10 build from latest iso had the same problem. I was Baffled. I tried the AC97 route, but the driver install always crashed out.

Nothing made any difference whatsoever. Until I just tried this.

SOLVED for me:
Without making any other changes to host or VM, changing VM from 2 cores to 4 cores (on a 16 core host) instantly made Pulseaudio sound work perfectly.

:D
CarbonPepper

Postby mpack » 23. Jan 2019, 15:45

I suspect you just exchanged one (cosmetic) problem for a genuine long term problem. Probably you have a 4 core host CPU. You just assigned all four cores to the VM. What effect do you think that could have on the host, which now has 0 CPU cores for its exclusive use? How successfully or smoothly can the VirtualBox host process (and the rest of the host OS) run with 0 cores?
mpack
Site Moderator

Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Postby CarbonPepper » 23. Jan 2019, 18:09

mpack wrote:Probably you have ....assumption, assumption, etc.

As I stated above your post, the host has 16 cores. It also has 32Gb ram. This scenario is wholly repeatable, and fits with rigour. Use the info as you wish.

I would prefer not to consume so many resources, but there's only so much waiting one can take.
CarbonPepper

Postby mpack » 23. Jan 2019, 19:16

CarbonPepper wrote:As I stated above your post, the host has 16 cores.

Ah, so you did. A couple of words missed in your final sentence. Sorry about that. However most people reading your post will have 2 or 4 cores and my comment was always for their benefit.

CarbonPepper wrote:I would prefer not to consume so many resources, but there's only so much waiting one can take.

My own solutions are simpler: I turn off audio in the VM, or I live with the crackling. To me it is obvious that our ears are sensitive to the slightest distortion in audio, and there is no way a VM can guarantee to have the resources needed to sustain any data rate glitch free out of the guest and into the host sound card, not when the data is having to travel via some virtual chipset. If it was a paravirtualized audio then things might be different.
mpack
Site Moderator

Postby ractar28 » 23. Jan 2019, 23:17

I have run into this issue and the fix is annoyingly simple. Your issue may not be the same as mine, but... on the guest system, go into control panel, sound (or click the magnifying glass and type sound). Highlight "speakers" and click "configure" . Change audio channel to "stereo". Click test and see if this fixes the issue. If not, try one of the other settings. Then next, next, finish.
ractar28

Postby mpack » 24. Jan 2019, 10:02

Surely that fix (which has been the standard for years) has been mentioned already in this thread? In any case yes, if you reduce the data requirement then you reduce the chance of data streaming glitches. Getting 5.1 audio to work in VirtualBox has always been dicey. 2 channels is easier.
mpack
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to VirtualBox on Linux Hosts