Crackling sound in Windows 10 64-bit

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Re: Crackling sound in Windows 10 64-bit

Post by erdeslawe »

@ DJ Garybaldy,

The the correct definition of "a Customer" is "A person who buys goods or services from a shop or business." so, if you've done that and the goods/services/software you have purchased fall short of those specified in the contract of sale, perhaps you should be seeking a refund.

On the other hand if you are, like most of us, simply making use of open source software obtained at nil financial cost then, speaking as a non-Moderator, perhaps you should consider adopting a different approach when seeking free help from other users, which includes the volunteer Moderators. You could, of course, consider taking the commercial software alternative where you would truly be a "Customer".
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

@DJ Garybaldy : as Erdeslawe has said, you are not (to my knowledge) an Oracle customer - and if you were then you should be in contact with your Oracle support rep, not chinwagging here with us. Meanwhile you are just some guy who downloaded a file off the Internet, and joined a club with other users. And if you're a DJ then you're probably aware that self entitled clubbers who start abusing other clubbers soon get shown the other side of the door.

I can tell you a fact observed over my 9 years here: that a developer has shown the slightest interest in the problems of non-customers is quite unusual, and you should be grateful for it, not complaining that it isn't enough.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I'm trying to look at it positively; I just learned a new word! Thanks Don! ;)
mpack wrote:chinwagging
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DJ Garybaldy
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Windows 10

Post by DJ Garybaldy »

It doesn't really matter i'm done with Virtualbox and using something else to virtualise Windows, The final straw really was these forums Goodbye and if you don't want to be nice then just don't reply to a topic...
User of Ubuntu Studio 17.04 Running Virtualbox on a 16GB RAM and AMD10 machine.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You could do with taking a look in the mirror: "if you don't want to be nice then don't post" applies even more so to you, since you are the one who wants to gain something from the interaction, not us.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Any more moans in this topic from DJ Garybaldy will be deleted (one such already has been). If you are not going to be using VirtualBox then there is no need for you to post here at all. By all means use your blog to tell the world how terribly unfairly they treat you. Just don't do it here.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I just read the DJ's post. And I really hope that "DJ Garybaldy" won't be posting here any more, and if he does, not with that attitude. Too much noise (from a DJ nonetheless) to properly listen to the rest of the users' real issues...

PS. I had the "Ban" button ready to go, but then I decided to not be included in the same group as some of the forum's (very few indeed) users...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kjoyce

Post by kjoyce »

kjoyce wrote:Tried the test build, still crackling sound. Let me know if you need anything from the environment.

Dell Precision 7510
Windows 10 host
Windows 7 guest (crackling sound after Virtualbox upgrade)

Worked fine with Virtualbox 5.1.30. Upgraded to 5.2.4 last weekend and the crackling sound started.

I can confirm this seems to have helped:

1. Shut down the windows 10 VM. Open the Settings navigate to Audio section
2. Change the "Host Audio Driver" to "ALSA Audio Driver". (Pulse Audio also works but it still had stutters)
3. Change the "Audio Controller" to "ICH AC97".
4. Boot to windows 10. Windows will show as audio device missing which is expected.
5. Install the ac97 driver

Not sure if the problem is resolved. I have never used this driver for sound, so I am not sure why I would need to change to it. But the sound seems better at this point
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The sound is actively being worked on, changeset by changeset, build by build, release by release. See the timeline of changesets that are checked in the source code tree. Count how many of them are for audio. Draw your own conclusions... ;)
pentagonik
Oracle Corporation
Guest OSses: Too many to specify!

Post by pentagonik »

@kjoyce Can you please supply the debug audio files for 5.2.4 or 5.2.6 as explained in the following article: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/AudioDebug

That would help us diagnosing the issue further. Thanks!
kjoyce

Post by kjoyce »

If I am not having the issue anymore after switching devices and drivers, how will the logs help?
pentagonik
Oracle Corporation
Guest OSses: Too many to specify!

Post by pentagonik »

Switching to the AC'97 emulation is a workaround, but HDA still needs to work. Therefore it would be good to have all those debug files supplied.
Misys

Post by Misys »

I can confirm this seems to have helped:

1. Shut down the windows 10 VM. Open the Settings navigate to Audio section
2. Change the "Host Audio Driver" to "ALSA Audio Driver". (Pulse Audio also works but it still had stutters)
3. Change the "Audio Controller" to "ICH AC97".
4. Boot to windows 10. Windows will show as audio device missing which is expected.
5. Install the ac97 driver

Not sure if the problem is resolved. I have never used this driver for sound, so I am not sure why I would need to change to it. But the sound seems better at this point
I'm running a windows 10 x64 on both host and guest with VirtualBox 5.2.6. When I try to change the "Host Audio Driver", the only two options I get are "Windows DirectSound" and "Null Audio Driver". Is there some plugin I have to install to get the additional options?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Misys
You are in the Linux hosts section. You won't see those options.
Misys

Post by Misys »

socratis wrote:@Misys
You are in the Linux hosts section. You won't see those options.
Ah, my fault. I got here from google.