Crackling sound in Windows 10 64-bit

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Chibbs

Re: Crackling sound in Windows 10 64-bit

Post by Chibbs »

Wow, I guess I shouldn't complain about somewhat free software.. but that registration process is kinda ugly, etc, just to leave a comment...

Anyway. What I wanted to add for anyone fighting this like I did is the brute force method... buy a cheap usb sound device (they're like $10) and pass that to the VM. Then buy or build an audio switch box to switch from host to guest, or just add/pull the USB device from the guest. It's not elegant, not clean or tidy, but it does work.

Chibbs
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Chibbs wrote:buy a cheap usb sound device (they're like $10) and pass that to the VM.
... or folks could just try the latest 6.1.23 test build, which fixes many of the recent audio issues!
antevans

Post by antevans »

Fwiw the audio issues went away in 6.1.24 until the first Windows update. As mentioned in an earlier post, that may just be coincidence, since an update is the only time I reboot.

Now I just have different audio issues. In some VMs, some of the time, audio is chopped up (just differently from before) and guest time is elastic. Audio and video slow to about half speed. Sometimes both are fine even with elastic time. Sometimes not. It's hard to reproduce, and even harder to get rid of once I manage to reproduce it. Some VMS are more susceptible than others, even though they seem otherwise identical.

RDP solves these problems, including elastic time - see earlier post.

Guest & host are Win 10 21H1. It might be worth mentioning I'm using standard AMD video and audio drivers - although the audio drivers are not often used.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

This topic was opened in 2016 when the audio issues were completely different. If you have audio issues now (with VirtualBox 6.1.24 or later) then start your own topic, describe the problem and provide a VM log as a zipped attachment.