VirtualBox 5.1 OpenSuse Tumbleweed Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
grizzlylabs

VirtualBox 5.1 OpenSuse Tumbleweed Host

Post by grizzlylabs »

I'm attempting to install VirtualBox 5.1-5.1..2_108956_opensuse132-1.x86_64 One OpenSuse Tubleweed.

The latest Virtualbox repository is 13.2 so that is the virtualbox I grabbed although tumbleweed is the rolling release while 13.2 is most resent stable release.

I get and error when I try to install Virtualbox 5.1 above version:

nothing supplies libvpx.so.1 needed by virtualbox.....

This makes since because most recent OpenSuse uses libvpx2

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox 5.1 OpenSuse Tumbleweed Host

Post by socratis »

You posted again yesterday the same question. Duplicates are not allowed per the forum rules. Keep it in mind.

I'm not a heavy-duty Linux person, but a quick search on the web suggests to install a version of libvpx1. Did you try to install it? Or a search on how to install it at least? Like "opensuse tumbleweed libvpx1". That gave me several pointers...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
grizzlylabs

Post by grizzlylabs »

Thanks for the response!

I'm holding off on trying to install the old version of the ibrary. I'm unsure of the consequences and was hoping to hear from someone who installed the new virtual box 5.1 with the current opensuse . I've heard tell it's possible.

I apologize for posting twice. My first post was a call for help in an old thread that I thought maybe nobody saw.

If I don't get any advice in the next couple of days I'll try installing the old library and let everyone know how it goes, along with any instructions or work around I must do.

Thanks if someone can give me some insight to this issue.
grizzlylabs

Post by grizzlylabs »

I suppose OpenSUSE Tumbleweed isn't very popular as a VirtualBox host which is a shame. I'm moving to Tumbleweed because it's a rolling release which means I don't have to rebuild my VirtualBox host once a year for a newer distribution update!

Here is how I got VirtualBox 5.1.2 running on OpenSUSE tumbleweed.

I followed the instructions on this webpage
https://bryanhr.com/opensuse-tumbleweed ... x-install/

He also had libvpx1 issue. But he didn't go into detail how to fix it. Of note he installed dkms so modules could be rebuilt for new kernels.

So here is the deal. OpenSUSE Tumbleweed is a rolling release of modern OpenSUSE. It provides libvpx2 and does not provide libvpx1. Debian and Ubuntu had the same issue when they stopped using libvpx1. Now it's OpenSUSE's turn. The latest VirtualBox for OpenSUSE on the Oracle site has a dependency for the old package.

I search on RPMfind.net for it:
https://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/sear ... 2864bit%29

downloaded and did a zypper install of the obsolete package

I rebooted with trepidation and everything seemed fine.

My next step is to rebuild and force VirtualBox 5.1 onto the system without the old package. Hopefully all that will do is break the parts of VirtualBox that rely on it, such as screen capture. But I won't have the obsolete software and, once VirtualBox moves to the new version, everything should right itself automatically.

I will update my status here for anyone following in my footsteps.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Nice! Thanks for the followup! Hope nothing breaks in the process.

One minor thing to remember is that as of 5.1.x, Linux installers no longer rely on DKMS for module rebuilding.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
grizzlylabs

Post by grizzlylabs »

Very good news for OpenSUSE Tumbleweed 2016 as a VirtualBox host.

My OpenSUSE VirtualBox host needed a new kernel and a minor VirtualBox update to 5.1.4.
As configured both updates went without a hitch and VirtualBox rebuilt the modules without manual intervention.

I then updated guest additions on a Kali Linux guest and everything went fine. Unfortunately Kali didn't need a kernel update. I wanted to verify that it would also go well.

My last step in proofing OpenSuse Tumbleweed as a worthwhile VirtualBox host is to attempt to install the latest VirtualBox from the Oracle repository without installing the obsolete library libvpx.so.1.

I will report back.
grizzlylabs

Post by grizzlylabs »

I attempted to install VirtualBox 5.1.4 onto a OpenSUSE Tumbleweed host without installing the obsolete libvpx.so.1 (The operating system comes with libvpx.so.2)

The install without the package failed. VirtualBox would not start.

I simply found the rpm for that library and installed it with zypper. This worked but leaves me with an issue.

I have an obsolete library installed that is not controlled by package management. This is especially problematic on a rolling release distribution because it will effectively be installed forever... even after VirtualBox is configured with the correct library. I don't know the consequences of that.

But for now, OpenSUSE Tumbleweed is my production desktop VirtualBox host and works fine.

I consider the matter closed and will report back here if I ever have a problem with the obsolete library.
recioe

Post by recioe »

grizzlylabs wrote:I have an obsolete library installed that is not controlled by package management. This is especially problematic on a rolling release distribution because it will effectively be installed forever... even after VirtualBox is configured with the correct library. I don't know the consequences of that.
So have you found a solution? I am having the same problem, and the same trepidation on installing an old lib.
grizzlylabs

Post by grizzlylabs »

I'm sorry it has taken so long to get back with you.

The method I used failed after Virtual Box did another update.

I'm going to try some other things over the holidays but it looks like tumbleweed is not a good choice for a virtual box host so far.
MaximilianKohler

Post by MaximilianKohler »

I found another solution.

Use this: "All distributions (built on EL5 and therefore do not require recent system libraries) i386 | AMD64" on this page: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Save it as a file download then run from command line with "sudo ./filename"
Last edited by socratis on 6. Aug 2017, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.
cuvtixo

Re: VirtualBox 6. OpenSuse Tumbleweed Host

Post by cuvtixo »

This is happening again with 6.0 on Tumbleweed 1/2019
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@cuvtixo
You already opened your own, new thread about the issue. Please don't wake up old threads... Locking this.