Keboard problem on ubuntu mate

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
FranzBauer

Keboard problem on ubuntu mate

Post by FranzBauer »

Hi,

i have the following problem: the keboard layout is not correct. I need de_DE, in Ubuntu and VirtualBox (guest system is windows server 2012 R2/Windows 7).
On Ubuntu Mate i checked every option, acutally ther is only one layout installed: de_DE (Deutsch (Deutschland)), the only language is 'Deutsch.
The guest system keyboard layout is defined to de_DE. But when i do any input, ther are following probs:
y/z is not correct, e.g. on the [SHIFT] + [.] key is "Ö"... When i try to copy the character "-" from the host system and insert it in the guest system it becomes a * ...
for example: , . - is on the guest , . ß
Shift and , . - is ö Ö ?
Actually it is unpossible to insert a "-" or "\" on the guest system. On the host system everything works fine. I use a 64bit host and a 64 bit guest system.
I don't know where the problem acutally is, i installed the guest extensions... i have no problems when it is a real us layout, but there are some things that doesnt work correctly....

Edit: Now i have additionally the problem, that the "host key" (CTRL right) doesn't have any function. I'm via teamviewer actually on the linux host and i cannot enter a "&", which i need for the windows passwort :evil:

Please help! :|

I'm a german guy who cannot speak really good english, so, sorry for bad english..

greets
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Keboard problem on ubuntu mate

Post by Perryg »

Keyboard layout is controlled by the guest. All VBox does is pass the key code to the guest and it is up to the guest to translate it.
If you look at the top of the guest log do you see anything about VBox not being able to recognize the keyboard?