Microphone doesn't work after upgrade to 5.1

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
syntax2001

Re: Microphone doesn't work after upgrade to 5.1

Post by syntax2001 »

Just installed 5.1.6 on a Linux Mint 18 (x64) host and I hoped that now the microphone works (as some other users have reported here).
Host driver is PulseAudio and the Controller (in the Windows 10 guest) is Intel HDAudio.
Audio playback works great in the guest, but unfortunately in the Sound Recording devices still *no* device is listed :-(
On the Host the microphone works (tested with Audacity) very well.
Any idea?
JerryHDR

Post by JerryHDR »

Same issue here... Running Windows 10 guest but can't see any recording devices. Microphone works fine on Linux host under sound settings/voice recorder.
VBox.log added for review. I am using Pulse Audio with Intel HD.

VirtualBox is: 5.1.6.R11 on Debian Jessie 64 bit.

Thank you!
Attachments
VBox.log
(85.71 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Xotas

Post by Xotas »

>>>FIXED<<<>>>FIXED<<<
Hi all,
Linux mint 17.3 Rosa host, W10 guest, just updated to 5.1.6 with the respective VM Guest Add on and all the issues with the mic were gone.
Well done VM programmers
syntax2002

Post by syntax2002 »

Hi all,

again I tried it with the newest version - 5.1.8 now.
So, I installed 5.1.8 on a Linux Mint 18 (x64) host (together with the 5.1.8 extension pack) and I hoped that now the microphone works in the Windows 10 guest.
Host driver is PulseAudio and the Controller is Intel HDAudio.
Audio playback works great in the guest, but unfortunately in the Sound Recording devices still *no* device is listed :-(
As before, on the Host the microphone works (tested with Audacity) very well.
Any idea?
dingbats

Post by dingbats »

Hi all, same issue here: Linux Debian stable host, Win 7 guest. No microphone shown in Win7 guest with VirtualBox 5.1.8
The mic is working flawlessly on the host. It was working without problems in the guest for >2years. Unfortunately, I cannot reconstruct when it stopped working -- I do (host) system updates often, but I do only use the Win7 guest once every one or two month.

What makes me suspicions that there might be another issue present than the VirtualBox bug fixed (or not...) in 5.1.6 is that I do not get a mic back if I downgrade my VirtualBox to 4.3...

Any suggestion what else to try? I already did a fresh Win7 install inside a virtual machine, but still no mic.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

If you downgrade VirtualBox, in an existing VM you have to uninstall the HD Audio driver (under "Sound, video and game controllers" in Device Manager), shut down the VM, and start it again. Unfortunately Windows does not full re-discover the audio device on each boot-up and "remembers" as long as the driver is installed. If you uninstall the drivers and shut down the VM, on next start the audio device will be re-discovered.
trifon

Post by trifon »

Hello all,

I'm running into the same problem: microphone detected as a device, but does not detect any sound. I am using a Windows 7 guest on a Ubuntu 16.10 host. There used to be a ticket open #15802 [Regression] No microphone, Windows Guest, Linux Host, but it has been marked as resolved.

I noticed the problem after upgrading to Ubuntu 16.10, which has VirtualBox 5.1.6 in its official repositories. The microphone used to work in Ubuntu 16.04 with VirtualBox 5.0.24 (with occasional glitches, like microphone suddenly becoming unavailable).

I have verified that the problem is also present with 5.1.8.

I have created a new ticket for this problem: #16191 Microphone not detecting any sound: Windows guest, Linux host. If someone is still experiencing this problem, please drop a comment in the ticket with your experience and logs.

Thank you!

P.S. Apologies for not posting URLs to the tickets, apparently it's disabled for members who just joined the forum. You should be able to find the tickets by number using the ticketing system's search function.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

trifon wrote:I noticed the problem after upgrading to Ubuntu 16.10, which has VirtualBox 5.1.6 in its official repositories.
It looks like you're using the distro's fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
trifon

Post by trifon »

@socratis Thank you for the suggestion. There is no VitualBox 5.1.6 for Ubuntu 16.10 in the Downloads section so I experimented with VirtualBox 5.1.8. The problem still exists, so it doesn't seem to be caused by Ubuntu's changes to the package.

I have generated and added a log for VirtualBox 5.1.8 to ticket #16191.
Dzejkob

Post by Dzejkob »

Xotas wrote:>>>FIXED<<<>>>FIXED<<<
Hi all,
Linux mint 17.3 Rosa host, W10 guest, just updated to 5.1.6 with the respective VM Guest Add on and all the issues with the mic were gone.
Well done VM programmers
Works fine. Thank you guys!
NajiB

Post by NajiB »

Tried w/ the just-released 5.1.10: Still broke. Downgrading to 5.0.18 (c. April 2016) does bring the mic back to normal operation. (Tried a few of the other minor release versions before losing patience. Just happy to have it working.)

EDIT:
Latest post induced a review of this thread and more testing.

Avoiding the contradictions (vA.B works! vA.B doesn't work!), there seems to be a consensus that 5.0.26 (7/18/16) was the last working 5.0.x version (certainly 5.0.24, 6/28/16), and v5.1.0 (7/12/16) was the last and latest release without the bug. (I'm running 5.1.0: No bug.)

Checking dates, it seems the bug was introduced sometime after mid-July 2016 in both streams (5.0 and 5.1). Hope this info is of some help.
Last edited by NajiB on 25. Jan 2017, 14:48, edited 2 times in total.
vultan

Post by vultan »

I'm also continuing to have the same problem with 5.1.10.
flubba86

Post by flubba86 »

Chiming in, just updated to 5.1.12, still the same bug exists.
flubba86

Post by flubba86 »

flubba86 wrote:Chiming in, just updated to 5.1.12, still the same bug exists.
Same in 5.1.14, but still exists.
pentagonik
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Too many to specify!

Post by pentagonik »

@vultan @ flubba86

You guys are both on a Linux host, using PulseAudio as the audio driver, right?