Issue switching worksapce when virtualbox is full-screen

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Warthaug
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: WinXP

Issue switching worksapce when virtualbox is full-screen

Post by Warthaug »

I recently replaced my work computer and installed the newest version of Ubuntu (16.04) and Virtualbox (5.2). I am running windows 10 as guest in virtualbox. Everything works fine except for one issue I cannot solve. When virtualbox is in full-screen mode, I cannot switch ubuntu workspaces like I used to on my old system (Virtualbox 5/Ubuntu 14.0x); specifically, when I hit the "switch to host" key (right-Ctrl), then use the "switch workspace" key combination (ctrl+alt+arrow), the screen will briefly switch to the new workspace and then "bounce back" to the windows guest. And at random times, if I close a window in the host, the screen will switch workspaces to the virtual machine.

This behavior does not occur if virtualbox is not full-screen.

My google searches showed this was an issue in much older version of ubuntu and virtualbox, but have found no useful information on how to fix the issue.

Any insight is appreciated.

Bryan
jcqledx

Re: Issue switching worksapce when virtualbox is full-screen

Post by jcqledx »

I have the exact same problem when Vbox is started in the right wkspce and the host is on the left. Trying to switch back to the host from the guest using Ctrl-Alt-Left Arrow switches to the left wkspce for about half a second and bounce back to the right wkscpe. This behaviour is not constant i.e. it works fine for a while and then starts to bounce back. There is still a workaround, not ideal but at least you can switch by using the Super S key combo and select the destination workspace.

Finally, a last observation is that I use the vbox with a win7 guest and in seamless mode.

J
AntMar

Post by AntMar »

Hi,
I have the same issue here.
VirtualBox 5.1.4 r110228
Host OS: Ubuntu 16.04.01 x64
Guest OS: Windows 10 in fullscreen mode

I've noticed also other secondary issues that I think are collateral effects of this bug.
1 - When I succeed in switching to another desktop, sometimes the Unity top bar disappears (together with the launcher on the left side of the screen) and re-appears when I click on any other Ubuntu application that's running on that desktop.
2 - When I'm in another virtual desktop other the VirtualBox VM, I can see in the Unity top bar the name "VirtualBox" grayed out together with the three window buttons.

It seems a bug in integrating with Unity desktop features.
Thanks for your attention.

Best regards
Antonio
Gyan

Post by Gyan »

I had the similar issue but the problem went away when I used the Metacity desktop environment for Ubuntu.

This is for:

VirtualBox 5.1.6 r110634 (Qt5.6.1)
Host OS: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS x64
Guest OS: Windows 10 in fullscreen mode
Vodkaneat

Post by Vodkaneat »

I found this thread as I have the same problem. I found no solution but a workaround, for me, it seems to be related to the VirtualBox floating toolbar, if I disable it, fullscreen starts working with workplace switching.

Try unchecking the setting: VM\ Settings\ User Interface \ Mini ToolBar: Show in Full-screen/Seemless. Then restart the VM.

The floating toolbar options should still be accessible via the <HOST>+<HOME> key combination.