doubt virtualbox-guest-utils

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Ghost75

doubt virtualbox-guest-utils

Post by Ghost75 »

Hello everyone, I'm using linux Kaos and would like to install virtualbox. The instructions given to me are:
sudo pacman -S virtualbox-QT5 virtualbox-guest-additions virtualbox-guest-utils

you know if all this would have fully operational virtualbox? ie have access to USB webcam access ....

Before installing also virtualbox-ext-oracle but apparently this instruction conflicts with virtualbox-QT5. You know if installing virtualbox-guest-utils would have support for USB ?. Thank you
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: doubt virtualbox-guest-utils

Post by scottgus1 »

Extension Pack goes on the host (the PC you install Virtualbox on). Guest Additions go in the guest (the OS you install inside the Virtualbox windows). I have a slight non-Linux-familiar feeling that the command line you're using is wrong, since it is referring to the Guest Additions during an installation of Virtualbox on the host. (I may be wrong about this, just a Windows-centric gut feeling...)

The Extension Pack gets installed (easily within the main Virtualbox GUI window or more difficult via a command line) after Virtualbox is installed.

Many Linux distros like to fork Virtualbox into their own packages via their own download system, and the forum does not support those forks. You should download Virtualbox from the official Linux download page https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads If you do you will be able to get support here on the forum.

The best place to get support on how to install official Virtualbox on a Linux host is in the Linux Hosts forum.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: doubt virtualbox-guest-utils

Post by socratis »

There is some discussion about another Arch distro in another thread that you might find useful:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=78693

[Mod edit: Moving to "Linux Hosts" from "Using VirtualBox"]
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.