Can't attach/access USB flash drive

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
bilsch

Can't attach/access USB flash drive

Post by bilsch »

Log file is attached. Host=ubuntu14.04.4 32-bit Guest=ubuntu14.04.4. 32 bit. I have performed the procedure listed below (and others) but guest cant see/access the USB flash drive. I can't do step 7 because no USB devices are displayed no matter what I do. I tried using USB 1.1 controller and USB 2.0 controller.

TIA Bill S.

THIS IS THE PROCEDURE:
1) Close virtualbox

2) Execute in bash (for Debians): sudo adduser YOURUSERNAME vboxusers. If you don't have a Debian-like distro, read here.

3) Log out and log in again

4) Attach to your PC the USB devices you want to be automatically mounted in the VM (virtual machine).

5) Open Virtualbox

6) Select your VM and go to "Machine" -> "Settings" -> "USB".

7) Check "Enable USB Controller"; click on the icon with the USB plug and the plus, and click on the devices you want to be automatically mounted in the VM. Click "Ok".

8. Click on "Start" toolbar button, and ensure your USB devices are recognized and mounted by the VM. Remember that you have to unmount them in the host OS too if you have to disconnect them after you exit the VM.
Attachments
u14044-2016-07-19-16-50-02.log
(108.74 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
bilsch

Re: Can't attach/access USB flash drive

Post by bilsch »

Here's another procedure I tried to get access to USB flash drive:

Type in the terminal:

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

You will probably have to enter your password to allow the installation and add a Y (as in yes) to finish installing the packages.

Then you head to your Dash home and type users. You will see two applications. The good one is Users and Groups.

You then have to click on Advanced settings for your user and enter your password.

Now you will be shown a window with three tabs. Click on User Privileges. Find the line that says Use Virtualbox virtualization solution and then OK.

Bill S.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Or even simpler: map it to a shared folder.
bilsch

Post by bilsch »

mpack wrote:Or even simpler: map it to a shared folder.
Would you tell me how? I'm new at this. Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Chapter 4.3 Shared folders of the user manual does a very nice job on explaining the basics and the details, if needed.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.