Use a Virtual Private Network (VPN)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
KIMW
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Use a Virtual Private Network (VPN)

Post by KIMW »

Hi,
I want to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) for anonymous web surfing, is there any specific settings I should create?
I did some research about that and somehow I found a topic related to my question but it's not for Linux host environment and because I am not sure if it's going to work I open this new thread...
I don't know if I am supposed to install the VPN in the host or in the guest. I am quite confused...
Thanks in advance for your help.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Use a Virtual Private Network (VPN)

Post by socratis »

KIMW wrote:I found a topic related to my question
Do you mind posting a link to the topic?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
KIMW

Post by KIMW »

socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Follow the instructions given in the article you linked. The host is not really relevant for your question, for the most part. It won't kill you if you try, will it?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
KIMW

Post by KIMW »

I already messed up a virtual machine and had to reinstall everything from scratch so I prefer to ask before doing anything...
Perryg
Site Moderator
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I have a suggestion for you so you can test and not have to re-install because it hosed the guest. Make a copy of the guest folder and contents as a backup.