Few keyboard buttons not working in WinXP guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
GazCamp3r

Few keyboard buttons not working in WinXP guest

Post by GazCamp3r »

Hi there. Im new on this forum, and new to the virtualbox. I have a Win XP VirtualMachine on Ubuntu. I have a Hungarian button layout, and 2 character is missing. When I press the 'Ű', and the 'Ő' buttons, nothing happens. If i switch to US layout, still nothing happens. In the device manager the winxp says, that normal Hungarian 101/102 button PS2 keyboard, but i cant get this two button to work. I think that these 2 buttons would be some kind of (, or / character. Every other key working, but this two are not... Can you give me some tip maybe?

Thanks for advance
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Few keyboard buttons not working in WinXP guest

Post by socratis »

GazCamp3r wrote:I have a Hungarian button layout
Host? Guest? Both? From my experience, the alternative keyboard layout has to be installed on the guest for things to work.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
GazCamp3r

Post by GazCamp3r »

socratis wrote:Host? Guest? Both? From my experience, the alternative keyboard layout has to be installed on the guest for things to work.
Both have Hungarian layout. The interesting thing is that, when i log in from the debian graphic interface, and check the previews for the Virtual Machines, the key are working. But when I log directly to the machine with TIghtVNC, from Win 10, or OSX, than they dont.

How can I install the layout?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You sort of left out the detail about the VNC part.
GazCamp3r wrote:when i log in from the debian graphic interface, and check the previews for the Virtual Machines, the key are working.
GazCamp3r wrote:How can I install the layout?
The layout is installed since it is working in its most basic test case. What's not working is if you do it via VNC. I would search for "VNC keyboard mapping". Most of the results returned have to do with the VNC configuration on the VNC server-side.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
GazCamp3r

Post by GazCamp3r »

socratis wrote:You sort of left out the detail about the VNC part.
GazCamp3r wrote:when i log in from the debian graphic interface, and check the previews for the Virtual Machines, the key are working.
GazCamp3r wrote:How can I install the layout?
The layout is installed since it is working in its most basic test case. What's not working is if you do it via VNC. I would search for "VNC keyboard mapping". Most of the results returned have to do with the VNC configuration on the VNC server-side.
So again... cause I dont unterstand any of this :(

We have a Debian for server, and it has Virtualbox. It hosting a WinXp Virtual machine, and on this WinXP there is TigerVNC server installed, so we can use it from outside. You say, that the problem is in TigerVNC? Casue I dont see any keyboard mapping options in it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

GazCamp3r wrote:You say, that the problem is in TigerVNC? Casue I dont see any keyboard mapping options in it.
You don't see any keyboard mappings in VirtualBox, so why do you think it is VirtuaBox's problem?

All I said was to search for "TigerVNC keyboard mapping". This time I've included the search link and made it specific to TigerVNC.