Need hint

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
myhobby
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Need hint

Post by myhobby »

Situation:

Running 5.0.20 headless for years now. Recently upgraded from 0.18 to 0.20 and after reboot everything worked for days. Using phpVirtualbox to control my machines. Everything is working great (If it works)
After a reboot I have vbox running as root and all my machines are unchanged at the same place, same attributes. Virtualbox.xml is in /home/vbox/.config/VirtualBox with owner vbox and unchanged. Vbox services are running as root.
Phpvirtualbox does NOT show my previous machines.. (It feels like virtualbox.xml is not found)

I've had it before (I think) and I'm not sure anymore if Vbox need to run as user vbox..... Any ideas anybody ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Need hint

Post by socratis »

myhobby wrote:Running 5.0.20 headless for years now.
You are lying, sir!
5.0.20 has only been out for 34 days! You can't be possibly be running it for years!
:lol: Just joking man...
myhobby wrote:I have vbox running as root
Big bad mistake. VirtualBox is a user-land application and it definitely does not need you to be root.
myhobby wrote:Virtualbox.xml is in /home/vbox/.config/VirtualBox ... It feels like virtualbox.xml is not found
VirtualBox reads its configuration files (including the existence or not of a VM) from the user's config directory. If you run it as root, well it looks at the root's directory, not at /home/vbox/. Switch to running as the user that installed the VMs (I guess it is 'vbox').
myhobby wrote:Phpvirtualbox does NOT show my previous machines
You'll need to ask them for support. If you have the problem with the plain-vanilla, original VirtualBox, we can talk about it, otherwise, ask the phpVirtualBox forums for assistance...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
myhobby

Post by myhobby »

I'm almost sure that running Virtualbox not with user Vbox is the issue. Will give that a try right now! Thanks so far for your help
myhobby

Post by myhobby »

I just finished a reinstallation of virtualbox via Yum and repo. Reboot and everything is back on track............Will make a note for this one, so in case it happens again.

Up and running !
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

myhobby wrote:I just finished a reinstallation of virtualbox via Yum and repo.
Just one quickie. The 'yum' and 'repo' indicates that you're most probably installing the distro-based VirtualBox. If you run into problems in the future, neither the unofficial build, nor phpVirtualBox are going to be supported here.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.