troubleshoting not reconized USB in Vm windows 7 in Linux

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
virtaulbox2016

troubleshoting not reconized USB in Vm windows 7 in Linux

Post by virtaulbox2016 »

Hi
i'm french. I have a problem of not recognized USB in vm windows 7 virtual box in os linux ubuntu 14.04.
I have the last version virtaul box and last extension
have you a solution ?

virtaulbox2016
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: troubleshoting not reconized USB in Vm windows 7 in Linux

Post by Perryg »

Post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.

Also verify that you have added your user name to the hosts vboxusers group and rebooted.
Nessi

Post by Nessi »

Hi!

I have a similar problem. VB 5.0.18 (incl. extension pack installed on Xubuntu 14.04). If I attach a USB drive, it is properly mounted into the host system.
I'm running Windows 7 as a virtual machine, but the VirtualBox does not recognize a single USB device.
My current user is member of the vboxusers group. If I execute lsusb, the attached devices are listed.

But if I start VirtualBox as root (using sudo), all present USB devices are available to VB, but it shouldn't be the case that I have to run VB as root to be able to connect to USB devices. Moreover, once I started VB as root, the VB config file for the machine changes owner and I cannot access it anymore as my normal user.

Anything I am missing?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Nessi wrote:Hi!

I have a similar problem. VB 5.0.18 (incl. extension pack installed on Xubuntu 14.04). If I attach a USB drive, it is properly mounted into the host system.
I'm running Windows 7 as a virtual machine, but the VirtualBox does not recognize a single USB device.
My current user is member of the vboxusers group. If I execute lsusb, the attached devices are listed.

But if I start VirtualBox as root (using sudo), all present USB devices are available to VB, but it shouldn't be the case that I have to run VB as root to be able to connect to USB devices. Moreover, once I started VB as root, the VB config file for the machine changes owner and I cannot access it anymore as my normal user.

Anything I am missing?
Once you run as root it changes the VBOX_USER_HOME environment and you need to set it back.

The only way to tell is with the guest log ( as an attachment ) and the results of "id" in the hosts terminal.
Nessi

Post by Nessi »

Perryg wrote: Once you run as root it changes the VBOX_USER_HOME environment and you need to set it back.

The only way to tell is with the guest log ( as an attachment ) and the results of "id" in the hosts terminal.
I checked and couldn't find the env. variable to be set at all.
The good news is: it works now. Apparently running it once as root, then reclaiming the config file through chown and chmod, then running it as my normal user again, did the trick.
The bad news is: I don't know when, how and why it works now. :(