Assertion Failed with VB 5.0.1.4

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Stevie_P

Assertion Failed with VB 5.0.1.4

Post by Stevie_P »

Hello,
I followed a really nice tutorial to include my normal windows installation (Win7 64) as a VM under Kubuntu 15.10
Until now I am not able to start it, I always get below error and saw the "Assertion Failed" in the log file.
The VM session was aborted.
Fehlercode:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Komponente:
SessionMachine
Interface:
ISession {7844aa05-b02e-4cdd-a04f-ade4a762e6b7}
I already tried many hints:
  • Code: Select all

sudo chmod o-w /usr

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-additions-iso
    (followed by "apt-get autoremove")

Code: Select all

sudo adduser <myUser> vboxusers 
I also checked some of the posts here with "Assertion Failed" but did not find a hint for my case.
Could you please have a look into my VBOX.LOG file?
Thanks a lot for any hint!
StevieP
Attachments
WindowsRAW-2016-04-09-10-56-13.log
VBOX.LOG
(32.7 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Assertion Failed with VB 5.0.1.4

Post by Perryg »

First you really need to read the manual on RAW access. It is very dangerous if not done correctly. http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#rawdisk This is a situation that none of use want to help with because it can kill your actual install.

Next you are running the Ubuntu fork of VirtualBox which we do not support, so you would either need to seek their assistance or remove it and install the official build from VirtualBox.org
I would also consider not using just any tutorial you see on the Internet. Some of the things you were lead to do is not correct and changes permissions that can actually cause other issues themselves. The quest additions do not get installed in the host by the way. That's why they are called guest additions.