WinNT4 guest and shares

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
kenwhite1953

WinNT4 guest and shares

Post by kenwhite1953 »

CD RW support

Can anyone tell me whether VB with NT as the guest OS in host OS ubuntu dapper supports CD RW functions? The CD seems to only be being presented as a CDROM. I need to be able to get files between the host and the guest OS but it appears that network shares are not supported for guest NT. An alternative would be to burn the files onto a CD.

Any help appreciated.

Ken
Reply Quote Edit
kenwhite1953
04/29/07 06:26:38
Tree View Flat View (newer first) Flat View (older first)

Message #881

I do not know about burning a CD or DVD, but folder sharing (having a common folder accessible by both the guest and host) is supported for Windows NT 4.0 (any service pack) by VirtualBox Guest Additions if you are using the PUEL (proprietary) version of VirtualBox.
Reply Quote
Cogar
04/30/07 22:26:09
o
Message #936

I had hoped shared folders would work with NT4, but the doco implied that Win NT was not supported. I tried creating a shared folder on the host.

VBoxManage sharedfolder add "WinNT4SP6a" -name "host" -hostpath "/use r01/temp"

this is the output from showvminfo

ken@zen:~$ VBoxManage showvminfo "WinNT4SP6a" VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 1.3.8 (C) 2005-2007 InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH All rights reserved.

Name: WinNT4SP6a Guest OS: Windows NT 4 UUID: 59100dab-3aa2-413c-89b6-a50095db3c9d Config file: /home/ken/.VirtualBox/Machines?/WinNT4SP6a/WinNT4SP6a.xml Memory size: 256MB VRAM size: 8MB Boot menu mode: message and menu ACPI: on IOAPIC: off Hardw. virt.ext: off State: running Floppy: Host drive /dev/fd0 Primary master: /home/ken/.VirtualBox/VDI/WinNT4SP6a.vdi (UUID: 4e8e27d4-e0b8-4 f68-81c1-cc2b1b0d79ec) DVD: Host drive /dev/cdrom NIC 1: MAC: 0800277623BC, Attachment: NAT, Trace: off (file: <NULL>) NIC 2: disabled NIC 3: disabled NIC 4: disabled Audio: enabled (Driver: Null) Video mode: 1024x768x32 VRDP: disabled USB: disabled

USB Device Filters:

<none>

Available remote USB devices:

<none>

Currently Attached USB Devices:

<none>

Shared folders:

Name: 'host', Host path: '/user01/temp' (machine mapping)

VRDP Connection: not active Clients so far: 0

However, using the followinf in WinNT still fails

C:\>net use x: \\vboxsvr\host System error 53 occurred.

The network path was not found.

C:\>

Any ideas appreciated

TIA Ken
Reply Quote Edit
kenwhite1953
05/06/07 14:36:49
+
Message #965

Here are a few comments for consideration:

1. I cannot tell if you installed Guest Additions in the guest OS. If you have not, you need to install them before the other commands will work.

2. I do not think "/use r01/temp" is a valid address due to the space in the name of "use r01" (unless that was a typo).

3. VirtualBox needs to have rwx permissions with the /user01/temp folder. The default group ID is vboxusers and the person logged into the host has to be a member of the vboxusers group.
Reply Quote
Cogar
05/07/07 23:02:33

Tree View Flat View (newer first) Flat View (older first)
Trac Powered