Serial com1 TCP TCPPort terminal emulation seems incorrect

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Grant

Serial com1 TCP TCPPort terminal emulation seems incorrect

Post by Grant »

VirtualBox 5.0.16

Guest: Linux based Switch/Router Appliance (No Guest Tools Installed - Linux appliance)
Linux 3.18 Kernel
Memory set to 1Gig. 1 core

Host: 16core 12Gig
Distributor ID: CentOS
Release: 6.7
Codename: Final

I have configured the serial interface on the Guest VM as com1 TCP and TCP port (Connect to existing pipe is NOT checked)

I am able to connect to the VM via "telnet <vmhost> <tcpport>". However, the emulation is not acting as expected. "Enter" produces 2 line feeds (CRLF?). Backspace displays ^H. Only "delete" key will remove the previous character. Tab complete does not work. I am connecting from a linux telnet client with no configuration modifications. I am able to telnet to the Guest by adding a host network on the Guest and telneting directly to the device. This works correctly.

I have attempted some troubleshooting using socat and can get rid of the extra line feed with VirtualBox serial configuration as Serial - Host Pipe - Path = /tmp/testvm. Socat command = socat UNIX-CONNECT:/tmp/testvm TCP-LISTEN:4001,nlcr . The extra line feed is gone but the other issues still exist.

I install the same VM.iso in ESXi and the serial port works correctly. I have previously used this appliance as VirtualBox VM running in GNS3 and it worked correctly.

The serial port on this appliance has also worked in qemu with these settings:
-chardev socket,id=charserial0,host=10.6.6.100,port=4001,telnet,server,nowait -device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. I have several portions of my project that only work in VirtualBox and would like run everything within a VirtualBox environment. GNS3 adds another moving part, more maintenance and management.

VM log is attached, but I don't believe there is anything of interest in it.
Attachments
vm_switch.zip
Zipped Log
(16 KiB) Downloaded 11 times