Using serial ports to Windows XP guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
apalhares

Using serial ports to Windows XP guest

Post by apalhares »

Hello I need to use some old software to connect to cars ODB-II diagnostic port. This software only runs on Windows XP. Currently I still have an old dedicated laptop with Windows XP on it.

The cable is an USB adpter using the FT232RL ( I cannot post URLs, will add info later).

I set up a windows xp vm on my main Arch Linux laptop. Installed all the necessary software and shared the serial port from /dev/ttyUSB0 and it works on some software. Like the Nissan consult software. But on others the software often does recognize the port but it cannot connect.

Honestly I have no idea how to debug this.

I got another idea which involves sharing the usb device to the windows xp guest and install the FTDI drivers there. But I have no idea how to do that in Linux.

Has anyone have gone through any similar problems?

Regards,
Alfredo Palhares
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Using serial ports to Windows XP guest

Post by mpack »

apalhares wrote:This software only runs on Windows XP.
Are you just assuming that? While applications designed for Windows 10 may not run on XP, I can't think of any reason for the reverse to be true. All of the software that I developed for Windows 98 still runs on Windows 10.

Is there a particular reason you installed Arch Linux when it's Windows apps you need to run?

Running this from inside a VM would be very much a last resort. VMs don't do physical hardware very well.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

apalhares wrote:t works on some software.... But on others the software often does recognize the port but it cannot connect.
Unfortunately controlling real hardware is not the forte of a VM. As you discovered, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure if anyone (other than the hardware manufacturer) can help you debug such a thing.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
apalhares

Post by apalhares »

Hello mpack thank you for answer,
mpack wrote:
apalhares wrote:This software only runs on Windows XP.
Are you just assuming that? While applications designed for Windows 10 may not run on XP, I can't think of any reason for the reverse to be true. All of the software that I developed for Windows 98 still runs on Windows 10.
Sadly I am not assuming this, I tested it, some old software only really runs on XP, I get connectivity issues on Windows 8 on Galleto and some others.
Is there a particular reason you installed Arch Linux when it's Windows apps you need to run?

Running this from inside a VM would be very much a last resort. VMs don't do physical hardware very well.
Well I run Arch Linux as my main OS, I use a lot of the reverse engineering tools of linux, and do Engine Management Systems development on Linux. Doing remapps and flashes and repair to OEMs ECUs is kind of a side job.

Currently I have both dedicated machines for lInux, windows 8 and windows XP. Just trying to reduce my workload.

Now one thing that works on my windows 8 guest is of instead of sharing the serial port to the guest, to share the USB device to the guest, install the drivers on windows XP. But on Linux I cannot do this. Any ideas I how I can stop the device to being attached to /dev/ttyUSB0 and share the it to the Virtualbox VM?
apalhares

Post by apalhares »

socratis wrote:
apalhares wrote:t works on some software.... But on others the software often does recognize the port but it cannot connect.
Unfortunately controlling real hardware is not the forte of a VM. As you discovered, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure if anyone (other than the hardware manufacturer) can help you debug such a thing.
Well at least I tried :D
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

apalhares wrote:Any ideas I how I can stop the device to being attached to /dev/ttyUSB0 and share the it to the Virtualbox VM?
Have you read about and/or tried USB filters? See Chapter 3.10.1 for more details. One thing; the devices can not be shared, as USB is a 1-to-1 interface.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.