USB passthrough challenge, non PnP devices?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
JJL2

USB passthrough challenge, non PnP devices?

Post by JJL2 »

Hi folks,

I'm trying to avoid giving in to the Dark Side of a dual-boot system. I hope you can help me out. Here is my configuration:

Host OS: Ubuntu 15.04
VirtualBox : 5.0.14 r105127
Guest OS: Windows 7

This computer needs to be able to talk to USB devices. I have USB passthrough working with devices that exhibit plug-and-play behavior. For example, I can plug my cell phone into a USB port. After its icon appears on the Ubuntu launch menu, I start my virtual machine. Once I've logged into Win7, my phone is able to be mounted through the USB menu at the bottom right of the VM window.

However, I have a few devices which are NOT plug-and-play: development boards from manufacturers like Maxim and Texas Instruments. The software to control these eval boards is Windows-native. When I plug these boards into my computer, the Linux host OS doesn't display anything. So when I boot my guest OS, I'm not surprised that nothing appears in my VM USB menu. Is there any way to make these devices visible to the Windows guest?

Thanks for any advice.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB passthrough challenge, non PnP devices?

Post by socratis »

Try to make a filter for your USB device and plug it in AFTER you've launched your VM and you've logged in.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JJL2

Re: USB passthrough challenge, non PnP devices?

Post by JJL2 »

Hi Socratis,

Thank you for your reply. As it turns out, I was actually getting USB passthrough for the device that I couldn't see The device powers its digital interface through the USB, but there are other components on the board which needed to be connected to a second power supply before the device was fully visible.

I eventually got drivers installed, but the device still did not connect to the end-user software running on the Windows guest.

I repeated the installation process on another computer where Win7 is the main OS and not a VM guest. It worked on that machine.

So now I am reconfiguring my machine to a dual-boot configuration, just to be sure that I can do all of my work on one computer. Sigh.

Once I get everything working on my computer, I would still like to try using my Win7 boot partition as a VirtualBox guest OS. But that's a different discussion, and I can see that other people are discussing that issue in other threads.