VBox 5.0.12 Windows Guest / Android

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
MClolwut

VBox 5.0.12 Windows Guest / Android

Post by MClolwut »

Hey guys,

so I've got a dedicated Server with an i7 3770, so graphics is an iGPU Intel HD 4000. The Host is Debian Jessie 8.2 with newest 4.13 Kernel, the Guests are Windows 7 x86 Ultimate. The machines need to run Bluestacks which require OpenGL 2.0+ and DirectX. Each machine has the VBoxGuestAdditions and the Host is running newest driver and Mesa.

So my problem in the first place is that I don't get it working. When enabling 3D Acceleration the Guest has OpenGL 2.1 Chromium and DirectX9.0c but the Android GUI is just a black screen and installing another Emulator results in "The memory at 0X0... referenced memory at 0X0... The memory could not be read.". Without 3D Acceleration it has OpenGL 1.1 and DirectX11, whether installing or starting an emulator results in the above error.

Anyone got a clue whats up? Thank you!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VBox 5.0.12 Windows Guest / Android

Post by mpack »

Are you saying that you enabled 3D acceleration for an Android guest? If so then that's pointless, because there are no GAs for an Android guest to use that feature. You need to turn off all graphics acceleration features - you'll be restricted to basic VESA graphics which hopefully your Android guest does understand.

In any case: Android guests are not supported. Meaning, if they work they work, if they don't then they don't.
MClolwut

Post by MClolwut »

Hey,

thanks for your reply and sorry for the misunderstanding. As said in the topic, these are WINDOWS GUESTS running an Application called Bluestacks which IS an Android Emulator using DirectX and OpenGL2.0+ which Virtualbox should support?!

Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

MClolwut wrote:WINDOWS GUESTS running an Application called Bluestacks which IS an Android Emulator
That's even worse. Nested virtualization is not supported.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Info on the BlueStacks Android app player seems quite sparse, but the Wikipedia talk page says it's a VM based technology forked from VirtualBox. So, on the grounds of being nested virtualization and being a fork would make it not supported here.

If it is VBox based then you probably aren't supposed to install it in another VM.

I suggest getting support from BlueStacks themselves.
MClolwut

Post by MClolwut »

Thanks for your responses guys.
Well, I've read about people running BS with Vbox, also the machines were running before with VMWare on my local PC.
How about Droid4X?
And what causes the memory error?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Well, I've run Bluestacks with VBox. But VBox was running natively on my computer, not in a virtual machine.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MClolwut

Post by MClolwut »

What do you mean with Vbox was running natively and not in a VM? VBox is running on my dedicated server.