IPv6 Windows VM on Linux host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
JamesK

IPv6 Windows VM on Linux host

Post by JamesK »

I have both Windows 7 and 10 in VirtualBox VMs. I have one adapter in bridge mode for IPv6 and one in NAT for IPv4. While IPv4 works fine, I cannot get IPv6 working. I can ping the host IPv6 from the client, but not the client from the host. With Wireshark, I can see the ping requests coming in with the appropriate IPv6 & MAC addresses, but Windows is not responding. Any idea why this might be?

I'm running VirtualBox 5.0.10 r104061 on openSUSE 13.1. All host and client operating systems are 64 bit. Both versions of Windows are up to date.

On the host, ip -6 neigh shows the correct MAC addresses for the IPv6 addresses.
Connection is via Ethernet, not WiFi.

Any ideas?

tnx jk
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: IPv6 Windows VM on Linux host

Post by Martin »

Did you disable the Windows firewall(s) to allow ping getting through?
JamesK

Post by JamesK »

The firewall is turned off. However, even web connections fail. I mentioned ping, as it's the simplest thing to try. I cannot connect, for example, to ipv6.google.com. Nslookup returns the correct addresses, but the DNS request appears to be using IPv4. A ping to ipv6.google.com returns "Ping request could not find host ipv6.google.com. Please check the name and try again.". So, I'm missing something basic that prevents traffic from reaching the VM. I can ping using the IPv6 address.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

FWIW, I can't reach ipv6.google.com on my host. :)
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
JamesK

Post by JamesK »

I can certainly reach ipv6.google.com from the host system and, as I mentioned, nslookup can find it, but I cannot access it via IPv6. Given that I can't even ping the client, even though Wireshark shows the incoming ping, indicates some problem between VirtualBox and Windows in bridge mode. I don't know if this affects both IPv4 and IPv6 or just IPv6, as I currently use NAT mode for IPv4.