[WIP] Full Seamless Mode (taskbar, app switching,...)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
LittleVince

[WIP] Full Seamless Mode (taskbar, app switching,...)

Post by LittleVince »

Hello all,

I'm currently working on a personal project and I simply wanted to know if it would make sense to share it here.

I'm using Virtualbox Seamless Mode on a Debian (stable Jessie) host while running a Windows 8.1 guest VM in order to make daily use of some particular software available only for Windows.

Since Seamless Mode isn't perfect (ie: the VM is handled as a single application and Linux users can't switch between Windows applications, nor see the active Windows applications in their native taskbar), I started creating a "communication system" in order to get feedback from the VM and update the Linux desktop in real time.

In a few words, this app can sync processes running in the Windows VM with graphical items running on the Linux desktop, so users can alt+tab between Windows applications and have their taskbar updated and clickable. Basically, this is all about sync'ed Linux placeholders in the native host taskbar.

As a personal tool, I'm pleased with the results, but I don't know if it would be useful to further expose it here.

May I have your opinion on this? Thanks!