No seamless mode with ATI and 3D enabled

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
MikeGreene
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: eCS, OS/2, DOS, Win XP, 7, 10, ReactOS

No seamless mode with ATI and 3D enabled

Post by MikeGreene »

The issue is that with all versions of VB 5 (up to 5.0.8) I can not get seamless mode to work with Windows 10 and 3D enabled. I have a laptop and desktop with ATI graphics cards and observe the same behavior on both systems. There was some problems with a few Windows 7 programs too. What happens is that when I switch to seamless mode I get a black screen, in all other modes it works. If I disable 3D option then seamless mode works. When I switch to seamless mode with 3D enabled and get the black screen, I cannot switch back to a full or scaled screen, the screen remains black. When the screen is black and I select close, the Close Virtual Machine popup window comes up and I can see the Windows desktop.

This is not a problem with 4.3.x VB builds, in fact I reverted to running my desktop with 4.3.32 with no problem. Anyone heard of this? If not I will file a bug report.

The host systems are Gentoo builds running 4.2.x kernels and xorg 1.17.

Mike
Annesk

Re: No seamless mode with ATI and 3D enabled

Post by Annesk »

I can also confirm this. With 3D enabled, every time I try to use Seamless Mode all I get is a black screen. If I disable 3D, it works.

I also have an ATI card (6550M).
Guest: Windows 8.1
Host: Arch Linux
Kernel version: 4.4.1-2
VirtualBox version: 5.0.14-1