VB on ubuntu 15.10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
pkaplan

VB on ubuntu 15.10

Post by pkaplan »

Trying to install VB 5.08 on clean install of ubuntu 15.10. Complains about missing libvpx1. New file on ubuntu is libvpx2. Is there a fix for this yet?

Found a post that one could force the install despite the broken dependency and then manually fix afterwards, but did find directions for making the manual fix.

Please help!

Thanks
Fabbry67

Re: VB on ubuntu 15.10

Post by Fabbry67 »

I've the same problem: i can't install libvpx1 and libvpx2 is already installed in Ubuntu 15.10.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

FWIW, I installed VB 5.0.8 in Ubuntu 15.04 before I did the dist upgrade to 15.10 and VirtualBox works fine with libvpx2 installed. If you tried to install VB through the Ubuntu Software Center, try installing it with the gdebi installer instead.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I think the issue here is the clean install VS an upgrade. Clean install will not have a chance to have libvpx1 and is probably not back-ported yet since the Ubuntu release has just come out.
You options here are to install libvpx1 manually or wait for the next maintenance release of VirtualBox. I have not read anything about a work-around but there are probably some out there. See what Ubuntu has to say.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

FWIW: http://launchpadlibrarian.net/199480915 ... _amd64.deb < may cause broken packages.

I find it interesting that VirtualBox can't be installed because of a video codec.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I find it interesting that VirtualBox can't be installed because of a video codec.
The codec is used for the video record portion. I know this can be eliminated during build but have not found how to tell users to do so with the pre-compiled binaries yet.
I think I remember a discussion on this with the DEVs but have not been able to find the discussion yet.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I've read the new version of the VP9 codec is slower than the old version. Of course anecdotal evidence isn't always reliable.
pkaplan

Post by pkaplan »

The reference I referred to in my initial post is: http://askubuntu.com/questions/688330/i ... placed-wit

Has anyone yet tried forcing the install on a new 15.10 system? Is there basic functionality? (I don't need to record sessions.)
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

@pkaplan,

As I stated there are very few options for you unless I can find a way around to eliminate the package in the deb build. Ubuntu 15.10 just came out and the latest VirtualBox came out before the release of the Ubuntu package. You can always raise a ticket at bugtracker but this might take a bit for the DEVs to see due to it being the weekend.
pkaplan

Post by pkaplan »

I don't have a list of the files in libvpx1 and libvpx2. Assuming there is not a major change in functionality and/or the file structure in the packages, couldn't one could create a symlink from the old libvpx1 file to the comparable libvpx2 file. Perhaps I'm just naive about such things.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

FWIW, I downloaded the libvpx1 package I linked to above, installed it in a Ubuntu 15.10 guest using gdebi, then installed VB 5.0.8 without a complaint. I assume the libvpx1 package can be uninstalled at this point but I haven't checked because I'm eating.

edit: I assumed incorrectly. if you try to remove libvpx1 after installing VirtualBox it will try to uninstall VirtualBox as well. Seems to work fine in any case.