[Solved]Recommended shutdown method is currently inoperable.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
theAdmiral71

[Solved]Recommended shutdown method is currently inoperable.

Post by theAdmiral71 »

My VirtualBox version is 5.0.2.
Host version is 64 bit Debian GNU/Linux 8.1 (KDE). Guest versions are 32 bit Debian GNU/Linux 8.1 (Gnome) with 2 GB RAM, and 32 bit openSUSE 13.2 with 2 GB RAM.

Log file for Debian guest is attached.

"Send the shutdown signal" radio button functionality is inoperable. How do I get that functionality to work so that I do not damage the guest filesystem? The only way to shut down or reboot is my guest systems is to "Power off the machine", akin to pulling the power plug on a real box. This problem is happening on both of my guests.

Thank you in advance for your help.

theAdmiral71
Attachments
Debian (Gnome)-2015-09-05-08-00-17.log
(95.18 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by theAdmiral71 on 6. Sep 2015, 03:32, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Recommended shutdown method is currently inoperable.

Post by Perryg »

Send the shutdown signal" radio button functionality is inoperable
Can you post a screenshot of this "radio button"?

In any case the proper way is to use the guests shutdown feature, the same way you would on metal.
theAdmiral71

[Solved]Re: Recommended shutdown method is currently inopera

Post by theAdmiral71 »

Perryg wrote:
In any case the proper way is to use the guests shutdown feature, the same way you would on metal.
I was just about to ask the question to the quoted answer. Thanks for your reply, Perry.

Reason I was just about to ask the question is because I just now got a chance to try to use the guest's shutdown interface (the same way as metal), and the procedure (restart) seemed to work without complications. Before I was getting message upon reboot indicating orphaned inodes. 'Thought "this can't be good". Nonetheless, off to the races, thanks to a solved problem! :D