[Solved] Vbox Can't Find Guest Additions

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
johnywhy

[Solved] Vbox Can't Find Guest Additions

Post by johnywhy »

hi

i've inserted the guest cd recently, no problem.

but now vbox says it can't find it, and prompting me to download.

i'm seeing this:
$ sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-utils
[sudo] password for boom:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
virtualbox-guest-utils is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libflickcurl0 libjs-prototype libjs-scriptaculous liblensfun-data
liblensfun0 libraw9 librest-0.7-0
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 20 not upgraded.
appreciate help,

thx!
Last edited by johnywhy on 24. Aug 2015, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Vbox Can't Find Guest Additions

Post by socratis »

You inserted the CD, yet you're trying to get the additions from the network. Why? They are on the CD locally! Please read Chapter 4.2.2 Guest Additions for Linux.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
johnywhy

Post by johnywhy »

no, i'm saying vbox could not find the CD anymore.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

In order to better understand the problem you need to submit some more information. Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
johnywhy

Post by johnywhy »

version: 4.3.10_ubuntu r93012
don't know how to report Host & Guest make & version.
host platform: linux mint xfce 17.2
log attached.

note, i accepted when vbox asked me if i wanted to download the guest additions iso, so things are back to working correctly now. But, if there's a problem with my OS or vbox install, then i'd like to find out what happened.

thx!
Attachments
IE8 - WinXP-2015-08-23-00-35-17.log
(55.69 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

You installed the Repo version of VirtualBox which does not have the guest additions built in. Plus the official version does not have a package called virtualbox-guest-utils. You need to seek assistance from Ubuntu or remove theirs and install the one from VirtualBox.org. Then you need to remember what guest additions mean. They are installed in the guest and the one you are trying to install in the host will not work there or in a Windows guest since it is intended for Linux only.
johnywhy

Post by johnywhy »

Perryg wrote:You installed the Repo version of VirtualBox which does not have the guest additions built in.
you may be right, but i thought i installed this file:

virtualbox-5.0_5.0.2-102096-Ubuntu-trusty_amd64.deb

from this page:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

at the description:

Ubuntu 14.04 ("Trusty") / 14.10 ("Utopic") / 15.04 ("Vivid") i386 | AMD64
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I guess you need proof.

Code: Select all

00:00:00.496452 Package type: LINUX_64BITS_GENERIC (OSE)
Plus the guest additions do not get installed in the host.
johnywhy

Post by johnywhy »

Perryg wrote:

thx, how can i obtain that?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Link to download page https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Since you say you already downloaded it, you may have everything that you need. More than likely your issue was you used the software center to try to install it and Ubuntu will try to force you to use theirs. If you have not already install gdebi and install with that instead of using their software center.

Remember you must first remove the one you have installed now. Once installed the guest additions will be available in the device tab of the running guest.
If you want USB support you should install the extension pack on the host that matches the version of VirtualBox you are running, then add your user name (host) to the vboxusers group and reboot.
johnywhy

Post by johnywhy »

Remember you must first remove the one you have installed now.
i did a complete removal at CLI using

sudo apt-get --purge --auto-remove autoremove virtualbox
then i went into synaptic and found the following packages still installed.
virtualbox-guest-dkms
virtualbox-guest-utils
virtualbox-guest-x11

Those must be the packages i installed from CLI, mentioned in OP.

I uninstalled them using:

sudo apt-get --purge --auto-remove autoremove virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-utils virtualbox-guest-x11
where does that come from?
Perryg wrote:Link to download page https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
are you saying the download link i provided above is incorrect? once arriving at the link you provided, i must click "VirtualBox 5.0.2 for Linux hosts", which takes me to the page i linked. Is that the wrong place to download?
Perryg wrote:If you have not already install gdebi and install with that instead of using their software center.
yep, i had to install gdebi to install the .deb downloaded from virtualbox.org mentioned above.

after the above uninstalls, i rebooted, and then opened the vbox deb mentioned above, downloaded from virtualbox.org. Linux Mint then reported "Same version is available in a software channel. You are recommended to install the software from the channel instead."

i ignored that, and proceeded with the gdebi install. Then i rebooted, and launched virtualbox. I was very surprised to see my virtualmachine from the previous install was already listed, since i tried to do a thorough uninstall. Did not receive any error messages. i went into settings/storage and found the guest additions iso was still in the CD drive, where i had inserted it on the previous install. I removed that CD, since you said guest additions are bundled in the virtualbox deb downloaded from virtualbox.org.

i started the vm. Shared folders worked, shared clipboard worked. All better now.

Out of curiosity, i checked synaptic and found the following package installed. i'm assuming it's the deb i installed:
virtualbox-5.0 5.0.2-102096~Ubuntu~trusty
If you want USB support you should install the extension pack on the host that matches the version of VirtualBox you are running, then add your user name (host) to the vboxusers group and reboot.
thx for that, for now just need shared folders and clipboard.

unknown why guest additions stopped working in the first place (which is what prompted me to install from CLI mentioned in OP, to download the guest iso, and to start this thread). But probably my own error, and hopefully all good now.

thx