Vbox 5.0 fails to detect installation media

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
mhenriday

Vbox 5.0 fails to detect installation media

Post by mhenriday »

After updating to VirtualBox 5.0, I now find myself unable to there install Windows from a bootable .ISO file on either my optical drive or a USB-flash drive. After configuring a VM as shown in the first screenshot below, I get, as per the second one, a discouraging notice to the effect that no bootable medium is found when I click the Start button. I've obviously configured the VM in an improper manner, but have failed to find instructions which would allow me to do a more adequate job.... :(

I should be most grateful for any suggestions that would help to put my on the right track....

Henri
Attachments
VirtualBox_VM_2015-08-09 16-06-11.png
VirtualBox_VM_2015-08-09 16-06-11.png (106.35 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
VirtualBox_VM_2015-08-09 16-14-51.png
VirtualBox_VM_2015-08-09 16-14-51.png (28.66 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Re: Vbox 5.0 fails to detect installation media

Post by noteirak »

Please read Minimum information needed for assistance and provide zipped attachment of the VM log file and the guest settings.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

noteirak wrote:Please read «Minimum information needed for assistance» and provide zipped attachment of the VM log file and the guest settings.
Thanks for tipping me off, noteirak ; I've prepared a .gzip file of the VM log file, which I now attempt to attach here in the hope that my present probationary status will allow that to be done (if not, I'll post again tomorrow). I'm not quite certain what you mean by the «guest settings» ; anything other than those shown in the screenshot I attempted to post as the first attachment to my letter above?... :)

Henri
Attachments
Win10-2015-08-09-17-00-02.log.gz
(18.34 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

You need to provide an ISO to the VM to install an OS. It doesn't come included with VirtualBox.
Right now you've created the configuration of your new VM, just like you would have bought a new hardware PC and put it together, but without an installed OS.

Note: Windows 10 is not officially supported yet.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
goentropo

Post by goentropo »

I had the same problem yesterday and it means you must have an .iso file to install the version of windows you require. I needed XP but those disks have gone away to where all old software goes when no longer required. The solution is to find the version of windows you require by googling for it. The link I found yesterday, downloaded and then installed on a USB drive. If you have already tried to start virtual box and got the message you did, you will need to delete it again for my solution to work. I will try to post the link in my next post as there are restrictions due to my being a new member that I can not post it on this reply.

Once you have installed onto the USB drive, you restart the Virtual drive software and when it asks you for the .iso, you show it the USB drive. Then it will install the windows version you require.

Please note that I am NOT an expert but a bumbling 56y/o self-taught novice in all things computer technical.
goentropo

Post by goentropo »

This is the link for downloading Windows XP. Use this to find the version of Windows you wish to install on your Virtual drive. Note that you need to tighten up the line and replace the italics with address protocols like slashes and dots...

Mod edit: No warez link allowed.

Apologies for my error, being a newbie is no excuse and I appreciate the warning.

Just remember, to err is human; to really screw things up takes a computer.....
Last edited by goentropo on 20. Aug 2015, 02:15, edited 2 times in total.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

From the name of the ISO file in your URL this is just a disk with the XP ServicePack 3, not a full install.
So this one cannot be used to install a VM.
goentropo

Post by goentropo »

Martin wrote:From the name of the ISO file in your URL this is just a disk with the XP ServicePack 3, not a full install.
So this one cannot be used to install a VM.
I was in error posting this url and it has now been removed. However, it had been a link to the main information page and there was a further link to the full software's download page which was then downloaded onto a USB drive. It has now been installed successfully from the USB. The software was found and acquired by a simple Google search, using the parameters I needed.